Mushrooms

reefsetup

Mushrooms-I love'em. but they get to be a pest. Anyone with a good idea to reduce their numbers(besides pulling out base rock)? Anything eat them?

jakebtc

if you are not propagating them, " which it sounds like you're not"
just put something decent in size next to them for a couple weeks and they will spread over on to that "and get you credit or an item to trade with"

reefsetup

Thanks for the reply guys. However, I have many mushrooms and simply placing a rock next to them will not, I believe, be a viable solution. Respectfully....Tom

B

billb

Sometimes if you point a powerhead at them they will dislodge. They usually don't like really high currents and will try to move out of the way. Make the stream enough so that the head of the mushroom is actually getting pushed up an out a bit, the foot will usually start letting go in a day or two in an attempt to move...you can nudge the foot with your finger at this point and it should drop off.
The other method, would be to use a dull blunt instrument, like a screwdriver (flathead) as a prying tool. Try to pry a bit into the rock, not touching the mushroom, and dig it off the rock. This doesn't damage the mushoom and you can frag to your desire.
Mushrooms are funny: Seems like either people have too many, or, are looking to get more... personally...I'd try to frag em' and do a trade, or make a few bucks, you have nothing to lose...
cheers,
B.

tankslave

I took mine off rock with a wood carving tool, just like BillB said in 2nd paragraph with screwdriver and traded for credit

farmboy

I read once that kalkwasser paste (SMALL quantities) rubbed on the shroom will wack it. I never tried it. . . .I usually trade them. :joy: