Mutant polyp

frogdog

This polyp has been 'mutating' for quite some time now. It seems like it might have started after an issue I had with my temp getting hot for a couple of days. Can someone explain what its doing?

teresaq

Sorry, but that is an anemone that is growing there. Zoas cant turn into anemones.
Its a nice one though.
T

bender77

DO you have any before pictures? My guess it was a really small baby anemone hidden in the zoa's and you just watched it grow. It's really nice though

frogdog

Originally Posted by bender77
http:///forum/post/3207000
DO you have any before pictures? My guess it was a really small baby anemone hidden in the zoa's and you just watched it grow. It's really nice though
I dont think I have any pics from an earlier stage in this transformation, I'll check though.
Unless the 'baby anemome' looked EXACTLY like the zoos, this isnt the case.
This "anemone" used to be a normal zoo. It started growing larger than the other polyps, but looked the same still. Eventually it started breaking up. And now we have this thing. I kept a close eye on this polyp.
unless maybe an anemone somehow started growing out of the zoo...
It still has some of the original coloration as the other polyps also. this is stranger than i suspected...

frogdog

im gonna shake it around and get it to close and take pics of the underside
edit- nevermind that, the polyps are starting to spread onto the rock. I dont want to disturb it...

cimpow137

That actually looks like a plate coral. There was probably part of the skeleton on the rock and the coral just grew from that. Those things are pretty neat. If the coral dies and you leave the skeleton in the tank, in a couple months the skeleton is covered in lots of little tiny plate corals.

scopus tang

Whatever it is, anemone or plate coral, its definitely not a zoa. No doubt it grew out of the colony, but not a zoa.

spanko

Fungia sp. plate coral. If you touch it lightly around the edges it will pull up into itself. Then you will see that underneath it has a hard skeleton with ridges like you see on the tissues there. Looks good and is growing well it seems. That may just be a propagation site. Eventually that one may fall off and down to the sand bed and a new one may grow there.
In my experience the only down side is those tentacles are very sticky. I had a neon goby get to close while feeding the tank one day and was stung and consumed almost immediately. I have a picture some where I'll go look for it.

frogdog

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3207248
Fungia sp.
plate coral. If you touch it lightly around the edges it will pull up into itself. Then you will see that underneath it has a hard skeleton with ridges like you see on the tissues there. Looks good and is growing well it seems. That may just be a propagation site. Eventually that one may fall off and down to the sand bed and a new one may grow there.
In my experience the only down side is those tentacles are very sticky. I had a neon goby get to close while feeding the tank one day and was stung and consumed almost immediately. I have a picture some where I'll go look for it.
no doubt that it looks similar to that in your other thread. There is no hard skeleton underneath it. At night it closes up to about 1/4 its size. The underside looks similar to the underside of a ricordia.

lmecher

+1 Fungia/plate coral
I had one that kept reproducing from the stem, baby would break off, new one would grow. It does have a mouth, I fed them mysis.

loopy101

Originally Posted by frogdog
http:///forum/post/3211241
no doubt that it looks similar to that in your other thread. There is no hard skeleton underneath it. At night it closes up to about 1/4 its size. The underside looks similar to the underside of a ricordia.
i would say it looks like a plate coral as well. but if you say there isnt any skull. then i dont know what to think. so from what i understand the whole thing is soft?? no skull? can you get a picture of it when the lights first come on when its in its shrunken stage?