My 120 gallon Reef Tank Build

i<3reefs

I've been gathering what I need for my new aquarium for a long time now. The last ice storm killed my 75 gallon, so I've pressed on with plumbing my 120 gallon. I'm still waiting on my lights to arrive, but outside of that, I just need to seal the inside of my canopy. Hopefully I'll be cycling soon. The refuge is a 110 gallon tub, and I have a 40 gallon tub for my filtration. Eventually I want to plumb a chiller into my line, but I've also considered buying a drop-in for ease. I do plan on running Caulerpa in my refuge, so when that time arrives, I'll remove all my extra tonga rock.
Hope these pictures load properly.

i<3reefs

I painted the inside of my canopy white yesterday, and received my 250 watt metal halide lamps. I had ordered a 6" clamp fan which seems to be working well, so I ordered a 2nd for the other side of my canopy. I installed a 3" fan, and used my hole saw to install it in the side of the canopy. Unfortunately, the company I buy my 3" fans from is currently out of stock, so I don't have a 2nd for the other side. I'm debating on installed two more 3" fans into the top of the canopy. This would allow me to have 2 going in from the sides, and 2 going out from the top. I'm currently filling the aquarium up with water from my rodi unit, drip by drip, slow progress but that will eventually be done.

i<3reefs

The aquarium is 8 feet long, basically two 60 gallon aquariums hooked together. I plan on adding two more 2ft 29watt t5 bulbs to both sides to balance out color with my MH, but right now they are out of stock. The stand is in shaker style, hardwood, overall I'm pretty happy with the progression. I am very surprised with the amount of heat both of those MH put out, so I'll likely be shopping for a chiller sometime in the future. Do drop in chillers work good, otherwise I would likely need to purchase a new pump, since it looks like most chillers require around 500gph to work properly.

i<3reefs

I was a little disappointed that my overflow line did not meet my black trim line. Unfortunately I assumed this is how all overflows were designed, so I didn't plan for that extra inch of room at the top. I've never owned an aquarium where they did not line up, so that is depressing. I'll have to come up with some kind of trim to attach to the bottom of my canopy to cover up the air space, because that inch makes my aquarium look like it needs to be topped off. With that said I'm happy with the Starphire glass. This is a glasscages aquarium, so if your designing your own canopy off it make sure you measure to your overflow if you want to hide the waterline.
It has taken a few days to make up enough RODI water to fill my aquarium and filtration, and I'm almost complete. Ready to get the cycle going, so my water will start to clear up.

i<3reefs

I will start working on a stock list here in the next week. I am not a person who takes any chances with fish who nip at corals, but I am open to suggestions. I've built this tank so I could have a few tangs, so I know a couple fish I want on my stock list. Outside of that I am all ears.
1x Blonde Naso Tang
1x Purple Tang

i<3reefs

Ran into a problem today. My protein skimmer would not function properly hard plumbed into a return line. I adjusted it fully open, it still backed up, and made a nice pond fountain in my room. I had to cut the line apart, so now I'm stuck buying a few more fittings, so I can hard plumb an extra mag 7 pump as a return pump. Good news is my skimmer works perfectly fine just sitting in the sump.

i<3reefs

Ordered a 1/3 power chiller today. This is the first chiller I will have ever purchased so far in this hobby. My aquarium is already at 80 degrees today, and it is spring, which to me shows I will definitely need a chiller. Once my chiller arrives I'll decide if I want to direct plumb both return lines to one pump. These seems like the best way to reap the benefits from a chiller, so if that is the case I will likely purchase the largest Eheim pump, and call it good.
Off to work, got to love nights.

i<3reefs

Came home from work to discover my 2" bulkhead on my 110 gallon refuge tank sprung a slow leak. A slow leak normally wouldn't be that big of a problem, but I work 13 hour shifts, so it had plenty time to leak. Looks like I'm going to be taking that off, and using some aquarium silicone to stop that leak permanently. I have diatoms today, so I know my cycle has started, but overall I don't think my water quality is good enough yet. I'll likely need to wait around 2 more weeks before looking into a cleanup crew. I received my chiller today, which should be the last thing I need to purchase for this aquarium.

i<3reefs

I received a work assignment in a different town for the last few weeks, but I've managed a day off to come home and acclimate my cleanup crew. Looking forward to seeing what these guys can do to cleanup my aquarium, which is a complete mess with me being out of town for so long.
75 red leg hermits
40 cerith snails
10 star snails
10 bumble bee snails
25 nerite snails
50 Astrea snails
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
2 mangrove shoots for fun
10 tonga nass snails
1 fighting conch for fun

i<3reefs

I hooked up my 1/3 hp chiller last night, and it works good. I also bought a pair of brown saddleback clowns yesterday, and I was able to bring my only two surviving corals home from my LFS. My duncan looks really great, and seems to be enjoying its new home.