My 150g reef with pics

brian_wis

Hello all,
I'm new here and don't know where to post my intro so I guess this will be my intro spot lol... I been doing fresh water the past 15yrs breeding Angel fish and fresh water fish but that got old quick, And I started doing salt water about 10-11yrs ago and learned a lot along the way, I tore down my 55g reef 5 Weeks ago and I put up a new but used 150g , the 250lbs of live rock,the live sand and the stand, canopy came with it, all for $700.00. I was not passing on it needless to say, the only things that are missing is a return pump which I'm still
not sure about? Like how much gph should I go with? And I ordered a overflow box kit from http://www.glass-holes.com/main.sc. Which does 3500gph as I plan on doing sps corals later down the line which sps require lots of circulation and flow. And I'm buying the 6ft lighting fixture next weekend from www.drfosterandsmith.com
As for returns,This I'm still deciding on, Should I go with 4 or 6 return lines and what size 3/4 or 1 inch
??? I really don't want power heads or pumps in the display, if there's enough demands to use pumps I will but would like all the folw/circulation to come from just the return pump
. So I hope someone with sps experience can get me on the right track as far as flow and turn over.
If this thread has you lost I'm sorry I just don't want to forget anything. Thanks for your help and comments.

brian_wis

So there's some pics of my success and a new beginning I hope you like/enjoy my pics, fell free to ask questions and post what you feel, as I'm still learning myself

Brian

First off... WELCOME!
Great looking tank! Honestly, you lost me on your questions (just a bit player in the 50g range
) but you've come to the right place to get the answers to your questions.
Your tank looks great and I hope you find this board as useful as I have!
Where did you find that whole package.. cruising the classifieds?

brian_wis

Thanks for the comments all,
I will rewrite my post/questions lol sorry I confused you,
As for questions,
I was wondering what size return return pump I need for SPS corals??
My overflow box does 3500gph,
The 2nd question was,
What size returns should I use 1inch or smaller?
I hope this helps
Thanks, Brian

epic tank man,and holy toaster that is an amazing deal, i so wish I could get my custom built dream tank for that much! 72L x 22W x 36H a 250gal beast of a woman! but, if my parents let me, I'll transfer my freshwater tank into a saltwater tank! yay, 10gals of starterness, although I've read and heard that its better to get the biggest tank you can because its easier. I wish I could just turn my entire basement into a multithousand gallon aquarium with peep holes! that would be so cool, or if I had a backyard pond with a huge acrylic viewing pannel!!! I would be set!

brian_wis

Originally Posted by jelly-shrimp
http:///forum/post/2917904
epic tank man,and holy toaster that is an amazing deal, i so wish I could get my custom built dream tank for that much! 72L x 22W x 36H a 250gal beast of a woman! but, if my parents let me, I'll transfer my freshwater tank into a saltwater tank! yay, 10gals of starterness, although I've read and heard that its better to get the biggest tank you can because its easier. I wish I could just turn my entire basement into a multithousand gallon aquarium with peep holes! that would be so cool, or if I had a backyard pond with a huge acrylic viewing pannel!!! I would be set!
LOL I'm not so sure its so easy as there is more to do with the 150g lol
Originally Posted by dustyboy316

http:///forum/post/2917928
That 55g is beautiful. The 150g is coming along nicely too

Thanks dustyboy I appreciate the comments, A lot of work went in the 55g reef I was very happy with it,but I am a tang lover so that's why the up grade, here's a video of my 55 two weeks before I took it down..My son did the recording so its put on photobucket sideways lol....Enjoy....

jpa0741

Looking good. Couple things. As far as you only using a return pump for flow. 3500gph (22x turnover) won't be no where near enough flow for SPS. That won't be enough for really any coral (I would say 30x turnover min.). You are going to need atleast 6000 (40x) gph and up to 9000 gph (60x) for sps. You could probably do this is you also added some close loops with your overflow. Although I find it much easier to use powerheads plus they can be repositioned easy once your tank starts to grow. Also you probably won't want 3500 gph running through your sump. I don't know what you plan on running down there. Just some thoughts for you.

brian_wis

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2918287
Looking good. Couple things. As far as you only using a return pump for flow. 3500gph (22x turnover) won't be no where near enough flow for SPS. That won't be enough for really any coral (I would say 30x turnover min.). You are going to need atleast 6000 (40x) gph and up to 9000 gph (60x) for sps. You could probably do this is you also added some close loops with your overflow. Although I find it much easier to use powerheads plus they can be repositioned easy once your tank starts to grow. Also you probably won't want 3500 gph running through your sump. I don't know what you plan on running down there. Just some thoughts for you.
Thanks for the comment jpa0741 I appreciate your in-put also, for my plans I was just planning SPS only maybe a couple LPS, I figured I would need power heads or some thing for more circulation. 9000gph is way more flow then what I was thinking for Sps
thats rookies for you, This weekend I'm going to lfs I'll check on some circulation pumps prices while I'm there buying the lighting, I will post some pics of the new lighting and the pump/pumps I chose from,
As for filtration now on the 150g I have a 125g DIY sump/refugium and only running 2 mag drive twelves for return pumps and 3 small power heads in the tank that I have had for years, no idea there gph, As for return lines it has 3/4 returns(4) and two SCWD, so as of now Its only turning the tank over like maybe 10 times an hour, Skimmer is a G4XX Protein Skimmer With Serda 15000 Pump.
I get little but dark/thick skim as there is only 4 fish/ Yellow Tang, 2 Cardinals, and a shy Fire fish. I feed tropical flakes 1 time a day and frozen shrimp mixed with live shrimp and garlic 1 time in evening.
Tested tank last night.
PH 8.1 at 9am and it rises to 8.4 by 6pm
Cal is 420.
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Alk is 4.0
Phos 0
Mag was 900, I raised to 1300
Sal 1.026
Temp is kept at 78 with chiller
That's all the testing I do.
I also dose iodine but very very little.
Salt water changes weekly 30gallons with instant ocean and ro-di water.
Any other questions feel free to ask and thanks for looking,
Brian

brian_wis

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2918609
Sounds like your are going to have a great SPS setup. Keep up the good work.
Thanks again jpa0741,
Which pump would you buy for 150g SPS reef tank?
Hydor Koralia #3 Powerhead
Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
Our Price: $37.00 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia #3 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder.
* Additional photo
* Flow Rate: 850 gph
* Connections: None
* 6.5 Watts
* Water flow can be directed freely with the special sphere shaped connection to the exclusive combination suction cup and magnet support
* The magnet can safely hold Koralias applied in tanks with glass (or acrylic) up to 15mm thick. The magnet is specially covered to prevent corrosion.
Hydor Koralia #4 Powerhead
Our Price: $44.00 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia #4 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder.
* Additional photo
* Flow Rate: 1200 gph
* 8.5 Watts
* Water flow can be directed freely with the special sphere shaped connection to the exclusive combination suction cup and magnet support
* The magnet can safely hold Koralias applied in tanks with glass (or acrylic) up to 15mm thick. The magnet is specially covered to prevent corrosion.
Hydor Koralia Magnum #5 Powerhead
Our Price: $125.50 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia Magnum #5 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder. Drawing only 8 Watts with a GPH of 1650, the Koralia Magnum #5 is incredibly energy efficient.
* Flow Rate: 1650 gph
* 8 Watts
* The magnet can safely hold Koralias applied in tanks with glass (or acrylic) up to 20mm (.8") thick. The magnet is specially covered to prevent corrosion.
Hydor Koralia Magnum #6 Powerhead
Our Price: $138.00 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia Magnum #6 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder. Drawing only 10 Watts with a GPH of 2200, the Koralia Magnum #6 is incredibly energy efficient.
* Flow Rate: 2200 gph
* 10 Watts
* The magnet can safely hold Koralias applied in tanks with glass (or acrylic) up to 20mm (.8") thick. The magnet is specially covered to prevent corrosion
Hydor Koralia Magnum #7 Powerhead
Our Price: $158.00 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia Magnum #7 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder. Drawing only 12 Watts with a GPH of 2700, the Koralia Magnum #7 is incredibly energy efficient.
* Flow Rate: 2700 gph
* 10 Watts
* The magnet can safely hold Koralias applied in tanks with glass (or acrylic) up to 20mm (.8") thick. The magnet is specially covered to prevent corrosion
Hydor Koralia Magnum #8 Powerhead
Our Price: $168.00 In Stock!
The Hydor Koralia Magnum #8 Powerhead is a unique aquarium circulation pump that can be easily attached to the inside of an aquarium with the specially designed magnet holder. Drawing only 18 Watts with a GPH of 3250, the Koralia Magnum #8 is incredibly energy efficient.
* Flow Rate: 3250 gph
* 18 Watts
Thanks Again
Brian