My 2.5 inch maxima clam will not attach to rock. I need advice

hey guys
I recently purchased a clam from please do not put competitors names in here and I cannot get it to attach itself to the rock where I would like it to rest. The reason it will not attach is because the foot looks damaged. The foot of the clam looks damaged and frayed. I am not experienced with whether or not it will regenerate back to new or what will happen. The clam appears to be a healthy specimen but the foot looks like it was damaged due to it being pried off from the stores tank bottom.
What do you all think?
Thanks

meowzer

I hate to say this, but if the foot is damaged, the clam does not really stand a chance.....put in a claim.....
can you get pics....how is the mantle???

spanko

Can you show a picture of the byssal threads? (the foot)
If only the threads have been damaged chances are good it will recover, it the byssal gland has been damaged this could be fatal.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/382548/my-2-5-inch-maxima-clam-will-not-attach-to-rock-i-need-advice#post_3339377
If only the threads have been damaged chances are good it will recover, it the byssal gland has been damaged this could be fatal.
I have to slightly disagree because of the size of the clam. It will more than likely die even with a slight fray because of it's size. If we were discussing a large Maxima, it would be more possible for survival.
It sounds to me like this is a bad tear. I would post up some pictures and contact the company you bought it from to let them know you're having issues and start the claim filing process.
If you're new to clams, don't purchase one under 3".

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/382548/my-2-5-inch-maxima-clam-will-not-attach-to-rock-i-need-advice#post_3339377
I will come to your defense spanko you are 100% correct.

A mussel’s byssal threads are produced from within the shell by a byssal gland. They are small proteinaceous "ropes" extending from the muscular foot. Juvenile mussels, under 2 cm, can use their byssal threads like climbing ropes, extending, attaching, and pulling themselves forward in succession. Juvenile mussels can be fairly mobile using this mechanism. When they get too big, they essentially become sessile, but they can always regenerate new byssal threads and reattach if they become dislodged. The byssal threads have the amazing ability to have elastic properties while still retaining great strength (can stretch out to 160% of their length while still retaining 5 times the strength of our Achille’s tendon). These properties make it the object of much desire as one marine biochemical research team from the University of Delaware (under the supervision of J Herbert Waite) hopes to harness its properties with hopes of creating a material that can be used to make artificial tendons and ligaments for humans (Shulman 1998).[sup] [/sup]Byssal threads are also amazing for the ability to adhere to substrate surfaces underwater. Each byssal thread is composed of three parts: a corrugated proximal region, a smooth distal region and an adhesive plaque that adheres to the substrate. In high-wave stress areas mussels may be able to orient and arrange the placement of their byssal threads to absorb to tension and load where they experience the most pull (Bell and Gosline 1996).

Hey guys
Good news. It has finally attached itself and doing fine. It is a beautiful clam. Emerald green.
I really didnt want to lose it.
Thanks for your alls input and advice!
Tan

btldreef

You're telling me that in two days time it went from having a torn foot to attaching to a rock? How "damaged" was this thing?

Here are some pics. I know these pics cant really validate that the foot was damaged but believe me, it looked like a piece of colt coral under the clam. The foot was frayed and I guess stretched because it was just kind of hanging there. Here are the pics of it as of yesterday. I performed a water change two days ago and moved one of my acros in a different location and while I had my hands in the tank, I thought I would go ahead and try move the clam in a little bit better location. The clam was somehow someway attached the the rock securely.
I cant get a clear picture of the foot but I can see it under the clam a little bit due to the clam being placed in a crevace in order to keep it fixed before the foot was damaged.
It looks like it is doing good now and it's open like it should.