My 250 Gallon

caz

just out of curiousity, how many pounds of sand is that?
You definitely have soem room for a couple more fish... and I agree with the liverock statements for sure.

bimac

Live rock can give the agresive fish places to hide and it improves water quality not the other way around. The fish have now ware to hide. The fish are all extreamly healthy I agree but live rock helps not herts.

dogstar

Is that a Blue or Queen Angle. Be carefull with corals and inverts with that fish. All the others are safe if you go reef.

davidbates

That is a queen Dogstar.
Caz, I believe I ended up with about 500 lbs of sand.
I am agressively looking for live rock now. I do also want to change out the lighting for a better looking tank. Thank you for all of your comments. I will post more when I make some changes.

inkman2004

Originally Posted by bimac
Live rock can give the agresive fish places to hide and it improves water quality not the other way around. The fish have now ware to hide. The fish are all extreamly healthy I agree but live rock helps not herts.
I didn't say it hurt. But it is not a must have. Most people prefer to have it. You will be shocked to hear it but I use it as well.

E

exile415

Dave how much you buy your 250 with stand for ?
One of my LFS are closing down and everything had to go. I saw a 250G with sump,skimmer,lighting,live sand in the bags and stand all for only 2grand

davidbates

Originally Posted by exile415
Dave how much you buy your 250 with stand for ?
One of my LFS are closing down and everything had to go. I saw a 250G with sump,skimmer,lighting,live sand in the bags and stand all for only 2grand

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this. You probably won't believe me when I tell you this but here goes. I have less than $1000 in my whole system. I built the stand and hood. I have cheap but poor 8ft bulbs. I built the wet/dry filter and did all of the plumbing myself. I did spend good money on an ASM skimmer. Money well spent I might add. I have a UV sterilizer as well. Anway I came out pretty cheap I think.

ophiura

It is a good looking tank. :yes:
Even if you don't do LR, I would say that adding more solid structure is really really really important. These are generally reef associated fish. They may not live within the rock, but the aggregate around reefs for various reasons. So I would at least add artificial corals or holey rock or something that provides more structure. But LR has several added benefits for ALL the fish shown (esp grazing and water quality).

philgmiami

fish like alot of rock work to hide and sleep...its like 5 people in a house will no walls, just my 2 cents
nice big tank :).. im getn my 180 in 4 weeks.
. i have a 55 now

Your tank looks awesome, but you need LR.
Sorry bad joke.
Seriously your tank looks great.

nokturnal1

IT IS NICE TOO HAVE A 240 GALLONS TANK AT HOME. I HAVE A 240 REEF TANK AT MY MOMS. AND 2 60 GALLONS TANK IN MY APARMET.IT WILL BE NICE TOO HAVE 50 FISH IN THAT TANK.ONLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE FISH ONLY.250 GALLONS DIBIDED BY 5 GALLONS PER FISH OR 1 INCH PER GALLONS.IT WILL BE NICE TO HAVE MORE LR.BUT IT IS YOUR TANK.GOOD!!!
NICE LOOKING TANK.

otto13

If it were me, I would not put that much more live rock in the tank. That would make a beautiful seagarden instead. You can fill it will lots of red and green macro algae and carefully prune it into a beautiful landscape. This will help with the bioload as well as providing hiding places for your fish. It might cost you 90 bucks for 4-5 varieties. You will need good lighting and iron supplements.
I am NOT slamming liverock everyone. Yes, it is wonderful and all that, but there are other aesthetic alternatives.