My 380 fish room project

bellanavis

Here is the current status of the tank. And I have a few questions, if anyone wants to give their opinion. My husband and I have been busy with other aspects of our house, but finally have gotten around to working on the tank and room. Check the pics. We should have the tank filling soon...
Okay, questions: My old 125 and sump has a sand bed and lots of live rock which I want to switch over to the new tank. Should I set up the new tank and get it running before switching the live rock and sand into it? I've read where disturbing the sand bed might not be good.. should I just add all new sand to the new tank and just seed it with good sand and LR?

bellanavis

The previous owner of this tank put all the refill tubes in... all 18 of them. We'll probably only use about 8 to 10 of the returns, and will drill new bigger holes for the drain into the tank. We also use some of the current drilled tubes to run closed loop filtering... will take it from the bottom of one side of the tank and return it to the top of the other side of the tank.
Any suggestions...

scsinet

Wow... I forgot all about this thread...
Closed loops seem like the thing to do with all these holes.
What are you going to do to prevent siphoning with the drains being so far below the waterline?

al mc

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
http:///forum/post/2885299
Here is the current status of the tank. And I have a few questions, if anyone wants to give their opinion. My husband and I have been busy with other aspects of our house, but finally have gotten around to working on the tank and room. Check the pics. We should have the tank filling soon...
Okay, questions: My old 125 and sump has a sand bed and lots of live rock which I want to switch over to the new tank. Should I set up the new tank and get it running before switching the live rock and sand into it? I've read where disturbing the sand bed might not be good.. should I just add all new sand to the new tank and just seed it with good sand and LR?
I would suggest using new 'live' sand mixed with new 'dead' sand unless you are willing to rinse the 'old' sand well with salt water to rinse out the detrius. I have done it both ways and prefer the more expensive but 'safer' way.

bellanavis

Okay, this is Adam (Nikki's husband) writing this:
I plan on drilling at least two (larger) holes for the drain (near top of tank), and whatever return lines I end up using I'll have check valves on so they don't siphon if the electric goes out. I'll also have a dedicated drain line from the tank right into a soil pipe, and an overflow from the sump to the same soil pipe that way if anything ever overflows, it'll be into my house's sewer. This will also greatly aid in performing water changes. I have a RO/DI hook up right next to the tank for performing top offs and a hopper sink in the same room for cleaning up everything.
I plan on running a couple closed loop lines, basically pumping from one side of the tank and returning it to the other (maybe from top to bottom too).
Anyhow, I just finished installing and grouting the tile, so after sealing the grout I'll be working on the tank this weekend. I don't know but I'll probably put some fresh sand in the tank and sump, and let it go through it's cycle then add some LR and some live sand to help seed the new tank and hopefully that'll work.

bellanavis

What sand should I get, will the quickrite play sand work, the stuff from home depo,I think that is what we used in our 125?

bellanavis

There is nothing else to really take a picture of, the tank is filling, the rodi is taking forever, lol, and we put sand in the sump, and that is about all. My husband said tonight he plans on having the tank up and running, but I am not holding my breath, I think he forgot how slow the rodi is, lol.

bellanavis

Ok, we are having a problem, either it pumps up too fast and the main tank almost overflows, or we open he valves and the main tank goes too low. Any ideas?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by BellaNavis
http:///forum/post/2894893
Ok, we are having a problem, either it pumps up too fast and the main tank almost overflows, or we open he valves and the main tank goes too low. Any ideas?
Open the valves all the way on the tank.Close the valve on the return pump a little bit at a time to find the sweet spot.

bellanavis

Yesterday, we could not get the flow right, but it seems to be evening out ok now. The tank is so dirty, I don't remember our other tanks staying this dirty this long. Is there a trick to clearing the water up? Also, the tank is bowing out, is that normal, for alittle bowing, or should I be worried?

try2wryte

Is the bowing no longer a problem? If everyone knew how much rock you were placing perhaps they might suggest placement....

bellanavis

The bowing has not gotten any worse, so I guess its not a problem anymore. I already have a 125 full of rock, and I got 2 more huge peices, and I can get more, if I have to, if that helps. I saw a picture of a tank, it was a large tank, with a pile of rock in the middle, I really liked the way that looked, but I can't find that picture. Any ideas?

bellanavis

The fish, rocks, and almost all the sand is in the tank, the levels are all good. There were alot of micro bubbles in the display tank, but we fixed that. Picture comming soon.