My 50g reef

ogredawg

Just recovering from a crash that happened couple of months ago. Went from 20g to 50g after the crash. :)
Tell me what you guys think so far.

ogredawg

Thanks everyone!
Yes I do have fish but they're currently in hospital tanks right now because I just had a ick outbreak. It's been 14 days since the main tank had a fish in and I'm going to wait another 14 days before I put the fishes back in to be sure. I have a pair false percula clown that host both anemones, a chromis (I'm adding 5 more chromis the day I add the fishes back in), and a yellow tang that I'm holding for a friend till he moves in couple of months (which actually started the ick outbreak in my tank). I'm going to add couple more fish after my friend picks the tang up. I also had a red leaf scorpionfish which died during the ich outbreak.
Here's more pics... :)
This is my RBTA when I first got it...

This is my RBTA now...

This is my new Acros, I got it cheap from my LFS's bargain rack because it turned brown. I'm hoping it colors up in my tank.

Here's another shot...

zanoshanox

Yeah, i was going to ask the same question, and everything looks like its coming along very well. I like the dimensions of the 50g, very nice!

ogredawg

Happy Easter Everyone!
I'm using Canon Powershot A610
I have 150w HQI 14k lighting right now and it seems to be doing well. I was thinking about going higher wattage but the electric bill is already high as it is. Also I don't think I'm going to keep any SPS lower than middle part of my tank.
here's the complete specs in case any one wants to know
50g TruVu aquarium w/ custom overflow
15g DIY glass tank refugium
Coralife Aqualight Advanced (Mount On) 150w HQI
---- Brand 150w HQI 14k bulb
10w 6500k light for the refugium
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Rio 1700 return pump
MJ 900 and MJ 1200(w/ hydor flo attachment) powerhead
50lbs (guessing) live rock
50+lbs live sand
Again thanks everyone for your great response. Do you guys have pics of your tanks?

volcom69

Looks to me like its a A.verweyi part of the cluster acropora family make sure u have lots of current and lots of light and it should come back to color for you. Acros are hard to id from pics but to me this is what it looks like.

ogredawg

Thanks!
I love my RBTA too, and it's catching up to the size of my GBTA. Although my Green one started moving yesterday so I had to take him off the rock and put him in the rock where my Frogspawn used to be at, and put the frogspawn where the anemone used to be at.
Volcom is my lighting good enough for the acro if it's half way up in the tank? My tank is 20" high with 2" high sand bed and the acro is about 10" away from the surface and 18" away from the bulb.

volcom69

Try it and see how it does im going from two 175 to two 250 10k on my tank that is sps dominate just so i know i have enough. Im just not going to run them as long as i do now. Your acro will be fine for awhile if u decide to upgrade i think that would be a plus to maybe 2 175 or at least 2 150 but for now u should be ok with where it is, what flow rate right now in ur tank gph u just want to make sure u keep the flow the more the better.

volcom69

Not sure its a milli looking at the PE and corallites it really dosnt look like a milli to like i said i could be wrong but the poylps look more flower type shape and are not out as much as a milli is.

ogredawg

I thought it was a milli too, but the polyps are flower shape. Does that mean it's not a milli? How does the polyps in milliporas look like?
Im a SPS noob, what are coralites?
Right now I have a total of 815 gph turnover rate in the tank. I don't know if I should include the skimmer I have in the sump. I make sure I put all my sps in a place where there's pretty good flow by checking if they're polyps are moving (I'm not sure if that's a good way to make sure they're getting good flow though).
The reason why I upgraded was because I thought I had too much light in my 20g. The cause of my crash was the whole top of my tank go bleached including the softies and I think that toxicated my tank. So I upgraded, but then later found out that I just needed some uv protection. Now I'm thinking about going 20g again but then I don't think I'll ever go back to a setup where there's no built in overflow and sump. :)