My 55g so far.

gradth

Still very new to all of this. This is my 55g so far. Its just under 2 months old.
What I have
about 40lbs of live rock. More to come when I can.
Running a wet/dry with bioballs.
Koralia 3 for circulation, thinking of adding another.
2 clowns
1 bicolor blenny
1 banggai cardinal
1 neon damsel
1 cleaner shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
4 large turbo snails
5 small turbo snails? not sure the exact name
1 black and gold Rabbitfish
a tiny little starter rock with some polyps on it
Things I know I need
protien skimmer - coming soon
More rock
another Koralia
Upgraded lighting- t5 or whatever.
Got aways to go.
Water today was good
nitrite .25
ammonia 0
ph 8.4
nitrate 0
Any suggestions welcome.

pumper

Did you cycle your tank? When you list water parameters you should list them in this order: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. If your tank was properly cycled your ammonia and nitrite should be at zero. Any levels of ammonia or nitrite is deadly. Nitrate is the only thing that should register. If your cycle was complete, your readings would look something like this: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20. You may loose some livestock as the nitrites turn to nitrates.

gradth

I think I got my nitrates and nitrites backwards.
Cycled the tank for about a month. LFS tested the water and said it was good. I finally got around to buying a test kit for myself. So im just getting the hang of testing.

pumper

Looks good to me... I want a cleaner shrimp. Some say the shrimp will clean your hand when placed in the vacinity of the shrimp. Is this true? Try it.

threed240

Originally Posted by Pumper
http:///forum/post/2758139
Looks good to me... I want a cleaner shrimp. Some say the shrimp will clean your hand when placed in the vacinity of the shrimp. Is this true? Try it.
They do. They also can pull out the hairs on the back of your hand, ouch! I thought mine bit me at first.

gradth

Originally Posted by dmyers557
http:///forum/post/2758148
Nice tank. That is alot of livestock for a tank so young. I hope everything goes well.
So Im finding out. I fully trust my LFS owner, hes been doing business a long time, but I am thinking he is old school with a lot of stuff. I dont really think he is just trying to sell me stuff just to do it.
Anyway, i added my protein skimmer today. A remora aquaC I picked up from another LFS. talked with the owner there and he really impressed me. Much closer to what I read around here.
Did I set my PS up right? Its loud as hell, sounds like a waterfall. Not all that excited about that.