My 65g reef diary

hallzy

I just figured i would start a thread on here keeping track of how my tank progresses. Ive changed so many different things since i started this hobby about 6 years ago, and i kinda wish that i would have been documenting everything as i went so i could look back and see how far ive come. I guess its better late than never tho!about 6 years ago. I started with a few different tanks before I finally settled on a 29 gallon. About a year ago i had the chance to upgrade to a used 65g tall. Im loving all the extra space. Also when I first started, I stuck strickly to fish. About 2 years ago I decided to take the plunge into coral keeping.
But anyways, enough about me. Heres a little info on my current setup. I dont have all the equipment that I would like to, but I'm slowly adding pieces along the way. As Im sure you already know, this is a very expensive and time consuming hobby that we have! As I said before, my current tank is a 65g tall. I have a 234w T5 lighting system (3x39w 10000k's and 3x39w Blue Actinics). For the moment I still have a basic HOB filter, but my next tank project will be a sump bulit out of an old 20g I have. I did finally get a protein skimmer this year, just a basic Coralife 65g. It is a HOB, but can also be used as an in sump, so I will still be able to use it once I do build a sump. Im not sure how many pounds of live rock I have, but its enough. And my substrate is made up of pebbles that I took strait from the ocean. It is nice, and it is easy to clean, but now that I am more into coral, I would really like to make the switch to a deep sand bed. But that will take some $, so I will probably just by a bag here and there until I get enough.
I have a nice little collection of coral going in the 2 years since I bought my first mushroom.
- Aussie Hammer (my prized piece, lol)
- 2 Frogspawns
- Plate
- Random mushrooms and zoos
- Lots of kenya trees
- Some Leathers
- Star Polyps
- Candy Canes
- Favia
Im sure Im leaving some out, but you get the idea. Many of these I got because a 125g that a friend of my dads had that came apart at the silicon, forcing him to do an emergency tear down. He decided after 30 some odd years of keeping tanks that he was going to give it up, and I was the lucky recipient of all his stock!
Heres the current Fish list I have:
- Engineer Goby (hes about a foot long now)
- Yellow Watchman
- Melanarus Wrasse (my new favorite fish!)
- Perc Clown
- Firefish
- Bar Goby
- Yellow Tang
The tang came out of the 125 that cracked. As much as I would love to keep him, I just know my 65g wont be big enough to make a permenant home for him. I will enjoy him for a short while, but only until I find him a bigger, permenant home.
after looking at some of the other tanks on here, Im kind of embarrassed to show mine, but oh well, here ya go anyways. lol
Tank shot

Massive Aussie hammer

Cool favia, got this out of the 125

Melanarus wrasse, my favorite

Frogspawn, also from the 125

I will get some more pics up once I get some good pics. And anything else I add or change I will document on here as well. Not only just to share some pics with you, but mainly so I have something to look back on 6 more years down the road! :)

hallzy

Here is the tang. Really wish I didn't have to get rid of him, he's a really good looking fish. You can also see my other frogspawn in the background.

Star polyps added 2-18-12

Yellow watchman, fun little fish to watch

hallzy

Here is the tang. Really wish I didn't have to get rid of him, he's a really good looking fish. You can also see my other frogspawn in the background.

Star polyps added 2-18-12

Yellow watchman, fun little fish to watch