My Acro!!!

killerbee181

This started about 2 weeks ago. any idea what it is or how i fix it? all my perameters are perfect. i have 4 - 54watt T-5's and 4 64 watt PC's and tons of flow on a 90 gal tank with a 30 refuge.

ricks280

sorry to say but your acro has gone and there will be no return acros, require a lot of t.l.c. calcium , ligths. water flow, perfect parameters and if better no fish in the system to maintain good parameters for this type of coral to stay alive.
rick)

reefforbrains

pull it to the surface and smell it. Acro's smell BAD when they go. And once they start it is very very hard to bring them back.
Everyone preaches about strong current for Acro, correct...but random is key. If not random then it often can strip the tissue when newbies think to just place it directly in front of the powerhead. I agree with the above about lights also. MH is unfortunatley another costly requirement for long term Stonies.

puffer32

Whats your alk and calcium levels? Acros can be kept under T5 lighting, i see you have other acros in your tank, how are they doing? Do you have enough indirect flow on it?

promisetbg

Originally Posted by ricks280
and if better no fish in the system to maintain good parameters for this type of coral to stay alive.
rick)
Not true..fish are important to sps corals. Their detritus feeds the corals.
No way to tell why it is doing this from a photo. But it is known as STN=slow tissue necrosis. There is another condition where the flesh can all fall off in 30 minutes..known as RTN or rapid tissue necrosis. We need to know all the specifics of your tank. How long set up, how it is set up, all parameters , especially Ca, Alk, & MG...also PO4.
If the tank is under a year, it could be that it is'nt stable. It could have redbugs or acro-eating flatworms. Many variables.

ricks280

well my lfs its got two 3000lts tanks as display tanks one with fish and the other without and i can tell u that the one with no fish looks immac. the other tends to have its up and downs. i wonder why? :thinking: so i dont think in not having any fish is an issue.

promisetbg

Maybe we just do things different here in the US.
Funny..the reefs of the world are loaded with fish as I recall. ***) :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :

D

dennis210

Acro's do make use of detritus in water! Also I have seen many sps tanks with fish in them. As for the origional post, was that frag a new one? I have had frags ship and upon arrival they have white area's on them, within days they are always just a coral skeleton. Also I have seen acro's with directions for acclimating them by drip for 1.5 - 2 hrs and other shippers say place directly in tank in desired location. I have found dripping, placing in desited spot (research needs first), and then using screen / diffuser panel directly over it for 4 - 5 days. This way you acclimate to your water then to your light. Try it next time!

teen

frag the parts that have tissue left on them. and go a decent amount into the remaining flesh when you make the cut. you may still be able to save a few frags if you act quickly.
Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
pull it to the surface and smell it. Acro's smell BAD when they go. And once they start it is very very hard to bring them back.
and acros smell bad pretty much any time you pull them out of the water. ever fragged a green slimer?

teen

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
and acros smell bad pretty much any time you pull them out of the water. ever fragged a green slimer?

killerbee181

this acro was doing good i've had it 3 months now. then i got the acro u see behind it,about a month ago and that one had a little white on the bottom. Then just 2 weeks ago it went from perfect to what u see now. The frag in the back still has a little white on the bottom but it doesn't seem to be spreading anymore. Also the one in the back i fragged a piece off it and it's on the other side of my tank and it's growing great. As lighting goes everything else in the tank is doing fine. In fact the base that the purple acro came on had some skin left on the base so i put it in the sand at the bottom of the tank and it's even growing.
as for my tank it's a 90 gal that's been up for 3 yrs with a 30 gal refugium that's been up for about 9 months.2 skimmers. i have
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 ammonia
ph 8.4
sal 1.024
0 phosphates
temp 80
calcium 550
alk 4.0
flow wise i have a seio 1500 on other side of tank that spins the water really well so it gets plenty of flow and in dif directions.
I'm thinking its some sort of bug from the yellow acro cause it was fine until i got it. Need anymore info let me know

S

scoobs

Originally Posted by teen
frag the parts that have tissue left on them. and go a decent amount into the remaining flesh when you make the cut. you may still be able to save a few frags if you act quickly.
dont know why but.. I LOVE that smell.

promisetbg

If it has redbugs, you can take a close look at the acros. There will be a slime trail coming off of them. The redbugs are very tiny, but look like a red speck. The damage from acro eating flatworms looks more like something is biting the flesh.

teen

Originally Posted by Scoobs
dont know why but.. I LOVE that smell.
lol. i dont like the smell itslef, but i love the smell in a way because i relate the smell with opening a package full of frags, and who doesnt love that?