My Anemone wont eat

C

civileng68

My new anemone, I've had it since Saturday, wont eat.
I've fed him frozen brine, of which he let loose and didnt eat. Then I fed him slivers of thawed, raw shrimp of which he holds for a little while then lets loose.
I know there are others foods by why isnt it at least eating some of this?
How big/small should the portion be and where exactly do I place it?
I used big and small pieces to no avail.

vlondi

First and foremost this question would be better answered in the "Anemone and Clownfish" forum. Second, there are a few basic questions that could help in identifying a potential problem:
How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of anemone is it?
What lighting are you using?
Is it moving much?
How are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?
Do you have a clownfish? What type? How does he act around the anemone?
Without knowing any of that it would be difficult to pinpoint a specific problem. Answer those and we may be able to help you out. Knowing what little you posted I can offer one explanation which may or may not be correct: The anemone is moving. It is in a new system and probably does not like where you put it. Anemones will move to where they want to be at; if they move they do not want to waste their energy catching and digesting food. An anemone on the run will most likely not eat.
I know that my anemone wouldn't eat for the first 2.5 weeks I had it. I was worried it might die. Finally it settled into a place and began eating small portions. Since then it has tripled in size, split off a new anemone, and doubled in size again. The new one has almost tripled itself. Patience is the key. That and more information.
Pie wouldn't hurt, either.

speg

You really havent given it a lot of time yet :) give it a bit longer then ask the question if he still wont eat.

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by Vlondi
First and foremost this question would be better answered in the "Anemone and Clownfish" forum. Second, there are a few basic questions that could help in identifying a potential problem:
How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of anemone is it?
What lighting are you using?
Is it moving much?
How are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?
Do you have a clownfish? What type? How does he act around the anemone?
Without knowing any of that it would be difficult to pinpoint a specific problem. Answer those and we may be able to help you out. Knowing what little you posted I can offer one explanation which may or may not be correct: The anemone is moving. It is in a new system and probably does not like where you put it. Anemones will move to where they want to be at; if they move they do not want to waste their energy catching and digesting food. An anemone on the run will most likely not eat.
I know that my anemone wouldn't eat for the first 2.5 weeks I had it. I was worried it might die. Finally it settled into a place and began eating small portions. Since then it has tripled in size, split off a new anemone, and doubled in size again. The new one has almost tripled itself. Patience is the key. That and more information.
Pie wouldn't hurt, either.
The tank is approximately 5-6 weeks old. 29 gallons.
All I have in it are some cleanups and a False Perc Clown. The Fals Perc Clown is getting to know the anemone slowly. I noticed today the clown was circling the anenome and rubbing against him, but sort of shy.
The anemone has not moved (location wise) at all. Can he walk across sand? I have him on his little rock near other rocks but not against them. He moves his tentacles and actually since I posted earlier tonight has started to extend his tentacles again.
The tank test results are:
PH 8.2
Amonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Phosphates 0
Nitrates 20 (coming down with water changes)
Alkalinity 4.5
Specific Gravity is 1.023