My attempt to breeding clownfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are they a mated pair? Does't seem like too much action going on.

pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385515/my-attempt-to-breeding-clownfish#post_3381192
+1
Are these guys new and you're attempting to make them a mated pair? they look like they're too young to start spawning for quite some time.
Yes I am attempting to get them to mate and yes they are too young to start spawning I attempted to get a mated pair but the the place were i got the mated pair was a scam and i am trying to get my money back now so I am attempting to just make a mated pair my self lol

pirates

I hope That I am going about this all right I have done a lot of reading and I went to my lfs and looked at all the clowns and these too was the bigest and they was staying together and the little one was submitting to the bigger oneonet i ThInget

btldreef

I've had mine since they were TINY, and they paired up over 6-9 months. They always stayed together from day one, but it took some time before I saw the "mating dance" so to speak. The male was doing his shakes constantly for weeks and then one day, the female decided to start hanging out with him at night when the lights went off. Now they mate constantly. Once they're old enough, paired up, and comfortable with their surroundings, it should be fine. Mine tend to spawn more often when rotifiers are added to the tank for some reason, maybe they think that's the best time since there's food for the babies, or something.

pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385515/my-attempt-to-breeding-clownfish#post_3381201
I've had mine since they were TINY, and they paired up over 6-9 months. They always stayed together from day one, but it took some time before I saw the "mating dance" so to speak. The male was doing his shakes constantly for weeks and then one day, the female decided to start hanging out with him at night when the lights went off. Now they mate constantly. Once they're old enough, paired up, and comfortable with their surroundings, it should be fine. Mine tend to spawn more often when rotifiers are added to the tank for some reason, maybe they think that's the best time since there's food for the babies, or something.
Yes that is what i have read about to feed them some brine shrimp or the rotifiers to help get them to spawn I am trying this with my clowns in my dt and the new setup tank lol this is going to take a long time to get them to spawn lol but I am going to just wait :) and try and learn as much as i can lol as i go

btldreef

Mine spawn in the DT. I'm thinking about moving them to their own breeding tank, but afraid that they'll stop in a new environment.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates http:///forum/thread/385515/my-attempt-to-breeding-clownfish#post_3381204
Yes they could stop and It could take about a year or two to get them to start again thats just what i have read lol
do you have fry yeat?
i've stayed up and watch them hatch a few times, to get the timing down, but I'm in the middle of moving into a new house so I've just been letting the other fish eat them when they hatch (that sounds so terrible). Once I move and they start spawning again, I will raise the fry.

pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385515/my-attempt-to-breeding-clownfish#post_3381205
i've stayed up and watch them hatch a few times, to get the timing down, but I'm in the middle of moving into a new house so I've just been letting the other fish eat them when they hatch (that sounds so terrible). Once I move and they start spawning again, I will raise the fry.
Cool that would be great you will have to post a video and let me know when you raise them

btldreef

Definitely. They actually haven't spawned in about a month, so it's time to drop in some rotifiers. I'm hoping that I can get the actually spawning event on film, and then do a daily log of how the eggs develop and then catch the hatching on film as well. So far I've caught about 5 hatchings since August when they first started spawning. I've only tried to time 8, so being correct about 5 is pretty good so far. I just hate that they always seem to hatch between 2 and 4am

pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/385515/my-attempt-to-breeding-clownfish#post_3381207
Definitely. They actually haven't spawned in about a month, so it's time to drop in some rotifiers. I'm hoping that I can get the actually spawning event on film, and then do a daily log of how the eggs develop and then catch the hatching on film as well. So far I've caught about 5 hatchings since August when they first started spawning. I've only tried to time 8, so being correct about 5 is pretty good so far. I just hate that they always seem to hatch between 2 and 4am

WoW 2am and 4am WoW that would be hard to get on tape lol

btldreef

luckily they hatch right under my moonlight. Once they hatch, you can shine a flashlight at the top of the water and they'll swim right to it. I just haven't filmed it because I'm afraid of dropping the camera in the tank while I'm half asleep, lol