my beautiful purple tang jumped!

drea

he was the best quality purple i have every seen with deep colors and detail and extremly peaceful. this is after 2 years. sux!
what is the best method to use to prevent this?

R

rcreations

Sorry to hear that but I don't understand why people don't cover their tank? Even if not a hard cover, at least use eggcrate.

m0nk

Yeah, that is a bummer, sorry to hear it. Egg crate works nicely, just be sure there are no gaps.

t316

Wow, I only saw the first half of your title "my beautiful purple", so I was expecting to see some nice pics. Sorry for your loss. I don't hear of Tangs jumping ship very often.

t316

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2730055
Where is the best place to get eggcrate? I havent seen it anywhere
Lowes or Home Depot. It's over in the lighting section and it may be call "light diffuser".

drea

yeah, i'll be on the search for some new babies... this hobby def has its ups and downs

oceanlover

I found that Tap Plastics had a more extensive selection of egg crate than Home Depot, Lowes, etc. And they will cut it for you in just a couple of minutes.

j-ville

There are some places online where you can pick up black eggcrate, which is better than the white because it doesn't diffuse the light as much.

rort

I was thinking about making a cover for my tank, but using window screen material and just customizing it...
Anyone ever done that?

drksniper

yea i use window screen on both my tanks. i used balsa wood to outlie a frame and used gorrilla glue and then velcro around the bottom so it holds to the tank rock steady and doesnt leave any gaps at all cause you can cut a small gap in the balsa to let cords through. i then cut a square in the middle and left 1 side uncut as like a hinge for a trap door to feed them through and such. 1 thing to remeber if you run mh close to the water level then it will make the glue soft in the evening and can pull the bulsa away from the velcro.
justin

shaunalynna

Sorry to hear about your tang. It sux to lose a fish that way. I just adopted a 6 line from someone local who placed him cause he jumped. He survived his fall from a tank about 5ft high and is happy in my enclosed tank safe now. If you can figure a way out to cover the tank to prevent this. Again I am sorry for your loss!