my beer budget 95 bowfront

V

vinnyraptor

got the tank, stand, hang on skimmer, and dble bio wheel for 300 bucks. im still under 1000 dollars total. including the crappy cam, lol.
80lbs live rock ( most of it used )
1 yellow tang
1 powder brown
1 mandarin goby
1 tomato clown
1 sebae clown
1 lawn mower blenny
1 emerald crab
1 camel shrimp
2 urchins
1 ss star
cerith and turbos
hermits
1 anemone ( pink tip? )
1 tube worm ( purple )

gman08016

If this is a new set up odds are your mandarin will starve to death.If your rock is full of pods it might survive but they look pretty new. Good luck

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by gman08016
http:///forum/post/2833044
If this is a new set up odds are your mandarin will starve to death.If your rock is full of pods it might survive but they look pretty new. Good luck
thanks for the concern but...
10 months and the Mandarin accepts frozen and homemade foods. LOL, its funny how most folks here think Mandarins only eat copepods. daily i squirt frozen marine cuisine via turkey baster and he go's to town. lol. i watch him chase and eat octopus bits. you people??? seriously???
Mandarins are "SLOW" eaters. but they will accept well prepared frozen foods. the trick is giving them an opportunity to eat. he's twice as fat as the day i added him and he roams and picks at the rock constantly.
these fish aren't that tricky. good LR is key, but they do take prepared foods and thrive on them.

gman08016

VinnyRaptor;2833213 said:
thanks for the concern but...
you people??? seriously???
Sorry your right looks really big in the pick.You should add a couple more tangs in there.Good luck with it

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2833794
Awesome man. What are the dimensions length and width wise of a 95 Bowfront?
its 4 ft long and 2ft high approximately 21 inches deep. im guessing, when i find my tape measure i'll give you exact dimensions.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by VinnyRaptor
http:///forum/post/2833213
Mandarins are "SLOW" eaters. but they will accept well prepared frozen foods. the trick is giving them an opportunity to eat. he's twice as fat as the day i added him and he roams and picks at the rock constantly.
these fish aren't that tricky. good LR is key, but they do take prepared foods and thrive on them.
not to contradict you vinny but often many mandarins wont adjust to frozen foods, some will but many wont and often die because of it. the best results are often found with feeding stations accesable to the mandarin only and feeding foods they may recognize easier such as fish roe, or small mysis. but to give a blanket statement saying mandarins will accept frozen foods is a little misleading, often many a mandarin has starved due to its inability to recognize such foods as edible.
I am glad you have successfully weaned yours on to oprepared foods. its a great day when it succeeds, but cannot be used as a definitive guidline for every member of the species.
I have had mixed results in the past some adapting easily and some never coming to grips with prepared foods.

johnnyd

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2834323
not to contradict you vinny but often many mandarins wont adjust to frozen foods, some will but many wont and often die because of it. the best results are often found with feeding stations accesable to the mandarin only and feeding foods they may recognize easier such as fish roe, or small mysis. but to give a blanket statement saying mandarins will accept frozen foods is a little misleading, often many a mandarin has starved due to its inability to recognize such foods as edible.
I am glad you have successfully weaned yours on to oprepared foods. its a great day when it succeeds, but cannot be used as a definitive guidline for every member of the species.
I have had mixed results in the past some adapting easily and some never coming to grips with prepared foods.
my mandarin is in a 28g and has been for about 4-5 months, and the other day when i squrited brine shrimp into the tank i noticed the it was eating some and chasing them down. not all do adjust but give it a try, usually they get hungry enough to eat frozen. its taking a chance mine woulndt touch brine when i first got it.

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2834323
understood. fish are like any other pet, some are picky eaters. i've said all along that mandarins require alot of LR to pick at. i think they are slow eaters but if encouraged they will take frozen/prepared foods. i've had the best luck with marine cuisine.

culp

looks great for sending under $1,000. i have a 55 and have spent about $2,500 on it since June.