My broken tank

tazs tank

I had a 72 gal bow tank set up for a year and half and two weeks ago the front glass shattered. Needless to say the tank empty instantly. The tank was level and on a factory stand. Does anyone have any idea why this happen? I have had smaller tanks for years with no problems. But i am new to salt water. The tank and stand where sitting on a hard wood floor. The stand was level to the floor with the tank sitting on stand. I have a 75 gal tank but I am nerves about sitting it up.

jackri

I've heard horror stories like that with bowfronts... sounds like a faulty tank but bowfronts make me nervous to begin with.. plus I hate the bowed front.
Sorry for the bad luck!

flower

I never saw a GLASS bow front always acrylic. JMO but something must have hit the glass, a rock slide or someone hit it from the outside, and just won't admit it (I would be afraid to admit it)I even heard of some kind of shrimp that can hit glass so hard they can break it.
Faulty tanks come apart at the seams and leak, or start bowing and stretching before a break. A sudden explosion of shattered glass would indicate something hit it from inside or out.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3074971
I never saw a GLASS bow front always acrylic. JMO but something must have hit the glass, a rock slide or someone hit it from the outside, and just won't admit it (I would be afraid to admit it)I even heard of some kind of shrimp that can hit glass so hard they can break it.
Faulty tanks come apart at the seams and leak, or start bowing and stretching before a break. A sudden explosion of shattered glass would indicate something hit it from inside or out.
Was is double paneled. My brother had a double panel tank about a year ago, craziest story. They make them so if the inside or outside layer breaks theres a safety net for you to have time to empty it. Well check this I live in Vegas where 120 degrees is the norm. Our sliding glass doors are double paneled, well the air inside the panels got so hot that it actually ended up bursting through the glass.
This happened even though we were running AC inside. Needless to say that was enough to get my brother to switch to a conventional tank.
just a crazy story

flower

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3074981
Was is double paneled. My brother had a double panel tank about a year ago, craziest story. They make them so if the inside or outside layer breaks theres a safety net for you to have time to empty it. Well check this I live in Vegas where 120 degrees is the norm. Our sliding glass doors are double paneled, well the air inside the panels got so hot that it actually ended up bursting through the glass.
This happened even though we were running AC inside. Needless to say that was enough to get my brother to switch to a conventional tank.
just a crazy story

Actually it isn't that crazy...cold and hot will burst glass. 120 on one side and AC on the other...that makes sense.

mkroher

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3074981
just a crazy story
whoa

big

So sorry that has happened to you..........Do you have any idea of what did cause it to happen, Anything moved of changed?
As the owner of a 72 bow all glass tank, now the nightmares will start............

katsafados

That really sucks! Specially the mess it must have left.
I would contact the company if the tank is fairly new! Demand to be paid for the damages. But its probably unlikely they will do anything about it!

tazs tank

No I don't know what happen. As for fish I lost, Flame Angel, yellow tang, Pink Tip Haitian Anemone, Emerald Crab, Coral Banded Shrimp, 2 Yellowtail Blue Damsel. Still have in a 29 gallon, Blue Hippo Tang, 2 Clownfish, 2 Three Stripe Damsels, Yellowtail Blue Damsel, Serpent Starfish, Also have an eel but not sure what kind. I also lost all live rock. As for the mess it took all day to clean main floor and a week to dry out basement.