My brown polyp is walking and my emerald has coraline growing on him...

ant

Is the coraline growth on the emerald okay? I'm assuming yes but just want some input. Guess there's nothing I can do about it but I thought it was kind of interesting.
Also, I had a brown polyp, free, on a shell from the LFS. I super glued it to the LR and yesterday one of the red legged crabs got it off and is now housing the shell complete with brown polyp. It looks like it's growing a new one off the side too. It's funny watching the polyp roam the tank but I was hoping to keep it and grow some more. Again, probably nothing I can do but just looking for input.
Thanks, Ant. :)

teresaq1

:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious Maybe go get your crab some bigger shells, maybe it will change again, and you can reglue it down.

ant

Thanks Teresa but I already have shells all over the tank. Funny he chose the only one I didn't want them to get!

caz

A couple of the LFS around here sell specifically astrea's and hermits with polyps on them. You can get just about whatever you want on a critter, lol..

ctgretzky9

Are you sure you mean Emerald crab? They dont take on new shells :thinking: they are just crabs that molt.
If you mean hermit crabs (scarlet, blue legged, zebra etc...) then it is quite normal for them to have all sorts of things on their shells, and as a matter of fact, anytime I have bought some from LFS, i look for ones specfically with coraline growth or other things on their shells.

ant

ct-sorry about the confusion with my posts. They were two different questions. My emerald crab has coraline growing on him and I have a hermit crab that took my empty shell with the polyp on it. I glued that shell on the LR when I got it and he managed to get it off and house it.

ctgretzky9

Originally Posted by Ant
ct-sorry about the confusion with my posts. They were two different questions. My emerald crab has coraline growing on him and I have a hermit crab that took my empty shell with the polyp on it. I glued that shell on the LR when I got it and he managed to get it off and house it.

Nope, no apology nessecary, it was my idiocy in reading it wrong/too fast. Your post was fine :)
And to think I got a 1400 on the sat's! And that was when reading comprehension was the primary parts of the verbal section :notsure:

scotts

Hey Ant how are you? Have not seen you for awhile. That is good news about the coralline on your emerald crab, that means your tank is doing good. Glad to hear it. If you are worried about your crab it is no problem because when your crab molts the coalline will be on the molt and your crab will have fresh new shiny shell.
Scott

ant

Hey Scott!
I was wondering if I'd ever here from you again. Thanks for the info about the coraline and my tank. It looks good except my xenia still looks really bad. My green star polyps look fabulous. I wanted to try an anenome because it's time but I'm afraid now because of the xenia problem. All of the fish and other critters are doing great, cross my fingers.
We have been doing well. We have family coming to visit next week and the week after so we'll be pretty busy. I've read some funny posts that you've responded to. They all totally cracked me up, ie. the "Yep." post. I even had my husband read it. How are you doing?
Ant. :D

scotts

That "yep" thread is from along time ago. In fact I have been meaning to reread it. I know there are some old names on there. As I write I am trying out a skimmer on my tank. I have not had one since I set it up is February. So far all has been fine, but it is time for a skimmer. No new fish yet but then I turn 40 next week so maybe then I can pick up a fish or two.
I was glad to hear about your tank. Like I said the coralline on the crab is good. Is it growing on your rocks as well?
Time to go check the skimmer.
Scott

shrmnator

if u like that then try a decorator crab.. they will trim your corals for u and carry them around the tank till death does them part, in which he will just grab another snipping and have at it again..
the coraline on the emerald could be a sign that it hasnt molted in quite some time... do you test your alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, and do u happen to dose for iodine?