My center brace broke on my 55 gal!

tangit!

I am sick! Should I be concerned? The center brace (on top) broke on my 55 gal. aquarium! I am sick. I has changed the shape by about 1/2 inch (my glass top doesn't fit like it did), but so far, so good.
Any advice?

M

markeo99

1.put a clamp of some kind across it and call the tank company they usually will send a replacement top you can chang
2.get some good epoxy and a piece of plastic glue it over the split
I have had one up for 3 years that was epoxied
but I would do something the only thing holding the tank together is silicone without the plastic brace

calaxa

More than likely it will hold up but for peace of mind, I would try to reinforce the brace or look into replacing the tank.

tangit!

How would I reinforce it? I don't want to squeeze on the tank anymore than I have to. Sheesh! I can't believe it! It was a used tank and the center bracket had melted from a light someone had on it...
If that sucker bursts! Man! All that life - gone...

tangit!

Originally Posted by markeo99
http:///forum/post/2826638
1.put a clamp of some kind across it and call the tank company they usually will send a replacement top you can chang
2.get some good epoxy and a piece of plastic glue it over the split
I have had one up for 3 years that was epoxied
but I would do something the only thing holding the tank together is silicone without the plastic brace
Oops, posted before I read this - Thanks! WILL DO. Guess I should drain a good portion of the water out, huh before doing the clamp/glue thing...
It's made me sick to my stomach!

don trinko

They have clamps for woodworking. Check at your local home improvement store. I would also put a board between the clamp and the tank on the front and back to help spread the force out when you clamp it. When you clamp it go slow. Talking to the manufacture 1st and get their suggestions.
I have a 38g and it does not have the center brace. I think the 55 is the smallest that has the brace. I would guess if it were a 75 or larger you would have a BIG problem! Don T.

tangit!

When I went home at lunch time I double looked at my tank and it has more than the silicon on the sides holding it together. It has an actual top that sits on the tank, holding the top corners together, so that made me feel somewhat better. I'm still gonna clamp it. This was a used tank, so I don't have a manufacturer that I could discuss this with.

tangit!

Just wanted to post here that I was able to order another brace (top frame) and Saturday did take everything (except the substrate) out of my tank and worked and worked and worked on getting the old frame off. I used a hair dryer to soften the silicone and just worked with a knife inside and outside the frame. I was able to brake a section of the frame off and then that made it "easier" to remove the rest of the frame. Then scrapped all of the old silicone off and siliconed on the new frame. I let this sit for 48 hours and happy to say all my critters survived this and everyone is loving life.
It was grueling. It literally took me over 2 hours straight to get the old frame off and then another two hours to remove the silicone and glue the new frame on.
But it sure beats forking out bucks for a new 55 gallon tank!
Note to self - do not lean on an already melted (from previous owner of an Iguana) center brace!!!

nwdyr

I had a 55gal split on me yrs ago! It's not pretty. I have found them to be the cheapest made tanks , I would replace it with a whole new tank ( the cost is FAR less then a broken tank!) Or even up grade to a better built 75gal tank
JMO , good luck either way!

srfisher17

Because losing the center brace will tend to make the tank walls bulge at the middle (this is why your glass tops don't fit right); I think you need a way to draw the broken pieces together, using some force. I once drilled a small hole in each broken plastic brace end and used stainless steel wire & a stainless turnbuckle; lasted for years. S.S. turnbuckles can be found at marine dealers; but you could use a regular one and waterproof it somehow.