My Clarkii is evil. Coral Beauty?

ryandefones

This morning as soon as I turned on my tank lights, my new clown, Rasputia, grabbed my damsel, shook it, and dragged it to my anemone. :eek:
I don't understand! This is the fourth day I have had her, and she is bigger than my other clarkii, that she still chases away. :(
Should I give up and trade her back? she hasn't hurt my other clown, Norbit, but she still hasn't paired up and I don't want her to kill any other fish that I want in the future.
Has anyone had any luck with a coral beauty in a reef tank? I heard they nip alot and I am worried about my frags if I get one.

dutchswan

I have not seen my coral beauty nip at anything a single time (unlike my clown who has snapped at my zoos and goniopora). I did a lot of research before buying fish, and everything I read said that CBs are the "safest" of all the dwarf angels in a reef tank.

btldreef

When adding a second clown, you should always get a smaller clown than the one in your tank. I have seen clowns try to kill damsels and the other way around. They are all Damselfish so they will fight with each other. IMO, get rid of the damsel, as it grows it will get very aggressive.
I read that you have a 25G tank, is this true? IMO Clarkii's don't do well in anything less than 40G. Many people are successful with Coral Beauty Angelfish in reef tanks (me, Meowzer, etc). Coral beauties are one of the more reef safe dwarf angels, but do not belong in anything under 40G. They need a lot of mature live rock to graze on and do not do well in newly established tanks either. Any fish can be a risk in a reef, I had a Ocellaris clownfish that ate coral, but Coral Beauties are usually fine.

ryandefones

So you're basically saying, no to the coral beauty, and get rid of my bigger clown. I guess it was worth a try adding a new clown bigger than my preexisting one. Thank you, and what might you suggest with a pair of clarkii's? I want to try for four fish but I think 4 might be too much stress on a tank my size.

btldreef

Four fish can absolutely be done. The Coral Beauty is really pushing it in anything under 30 and IMO shouldn't go in anything smaller than 40. Spanko has kept an African Flameback in his 29G, so that might be worth looking into. They are usually reef safe.
IMO, Ocellaris clowns would be better suited for that size tank.
If you went with two Ocellaris clowns, you could also do a bottom dwelling goby such as a Green Banded or Yellow Watchmen as well as a small Blenny (BiColor or TailSpot) and one more fish (firefish, basslet, dottyback, clown gobies, etc) Research NANO REEF FISH, there's quite a lot of fish that can go in your size tank.

ecooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/383480/my-clarkii-is-evil-coral-beauty#post_3354283
When adding a second clown, you should always get a smaller clown than the one in your tank. I have seen clowns try to kill damsels and the other way around. They are all Damselfish so they will fight with each other. IMO, get rid of the damsel, as it grows it will get very aggressive.
I read that you have a 25G tank, is this true? IMO Clarkii's don't do well in anything less than 40G. Many people are successful with Coral Beauty Angelfish in reef tanks (me, Meowzer, etc). Coral beauties are one of the more reef safe dwarf angels, but do not belong in anything under 40G. They need a lot of mature live rock to graze on and do not do well in newly established tanks either. Any fish can be a risk in a reef, I had a Ocellaris clownfish that ate coral, but Coral Beauties are usually fine.
Good advice here.