my cleaner clam died

rexmellis

I have had a 120g saltwater tank set up for about 7 months. I have a few fish, some condy's and a few cleaner clams. A clam that I have had for 5 months died last night along with 3 small fish. My tank went septic. My other fish were all swimming at the surface of the water like they needed air. My condys and feather duster were limp, as well as my mushrooms.
I did a water change immediately and things appeared to go back to normal. Then 3 hours later everything started happening over again. I tested my levels and everything seems ok. I did another water change and everything seems to be ok again.
Has another had this experience? I have heard that clams dieing can make your tank septic. I am not sure if that is it. Has anyone had this experience? Thanks Rex

ibew41

how big a cleaner crew do you have,and what are you exact numbers on your tests.that big of a die off you had to see a ammonia spike can you go and have your water tested at a lfs to match your test

spanko

I aways think about gas exchange when someone talks about fish swimming at the top. Do you have any surface agitation of the water? Do you have a top on the tank?

meowzer

I can't say anything about the fish, BUT...I can tell you that most cleaner clams do not last in our aquariums....(lol...yes guys...I now admit it)
I had always heard that they are more cold water species, but mine always seemed to do well...until the 6 month mark.....then one by one they died
I have gotten more, and have found they last about the same amount of time....
my .02