My Clown Bit Me!

lefty

Hello everyone,
One of the two powerheads in my 20g long died on me a couple days ago. My new one won't be here until early next week, so I've been moving the working one to different locations in the tank so all the spots still get a little water movement.
I'm not sure if this made my female ocellaris clown mad or what, but ever since the one powerhead died, she has been attacking my hand every time I put it in the tank to move the other one to a different spot. For awhile, she would just charge my hand, then at the last second flip around so her tail would create a gust of water at my hand (it is a surprisingly strong rush of water for such a small fish!). Today, she went from doing that to biting me! It hurts, too...I would not be surprised if she draws blood one of these times. She literally is biting the hand that feeds her. She follows my hand around the tank, and to keep her from biting me I turn the powerhead on while moving it and point it at her so she'll stop. She's persistent though and it didn't keep her from going for my hand.
How come this is making her so mad? Will she stop when the second powerhead arrives?
I have had her for over two years and she has never been so aggressive with me. I'm scared to put my hand in there now. I was also thinking of adding a second fish to my tank soon--a Yellow Watchman. However, I am now second guessing it since she seems to be so aggressive. I wouldn't want her to pick on the goby and kill him (she actually killed my male clown not too long ago, and they had both been in the tank for 2+ years). And here I thought ocellaris clowns were supposed to be peaceful. :notsure:
Thank you for your input! :happyfish
-lefty

mopar9012

My clown will do that...It doesnt really hurt me. I Cant really say i like him biting me. I think my shrimp has tried to do the same...but now he hides in the rocks

yerboy

my GSM bites me every time my hand is in the tank , he just orbits it as soon as i put it in then will zoom in and bite me. Its funny to watch.

sula

Has your clown possibly chosen the powerhead as it's host? It sounds like it's trying to protect it from you..... :thinking:

pallan

your just getting to close to its territory. nothign to worry about if it bothers you or her just leave the powerhead situation alone until the new one comes in. Mine does it everytime i rearrange something. suprises me every time.

lefty

She has never shown any attachment to the powerhead before. She'll go for my hand no matter where it is in the tank.
It's just really odd that she all the sudden decides to bite me after two years.
Thanks for your input guys!
-lefty

J

josebob

my tomato clown does the same thing, but he does draw blood. he is about 5 inches big and if i touch this one piece of live rock he goes nuts.

L

lbaskball

It just has established its home so it is being terrortorial. If you dont want it to bite you, dip your hand in and sort of shake some surface water with your finger tips and that will scare it. It works most of the time.

I also have a clarkii who will bite my arm whenever it's inside the tank. I thought it was funny at first until he drew blood. Now I always have to keep an eye on him when adjusting rocks. I don't think he's protecting anything though, maybe just hungry.