My clownfish is gone

awligon

Ok... Let me start by saying that I am a complete newbie at SW aquariums and I am mainly ignorant to this stuff.
My clownfish is gone. I got a 55gal tank and everything is going well but I came home this evening and he's no where to be seen. I have two tangs and a damsel in there as well. There's also a torch coral and a small anemone that's not doing so hot. I don't think it would have eaten him. I saw it this morning swimming and doing fine and now there's no sign and it never hides in the rock for long if at all. HELP! Oh, and there are 5 hermit crabs and 5 snails.
Thanks for the suggestions.

stapler

First off I would check the tank more carefully. Maybe move some rocks to see maybe if the clown is dead or hiding. You could also look on the floor behind your tank. I dont think clowns are jumpers, but he might have taken a jump out of the tank.
If you still cant find the fish...you got me. Got a cat? :)

I

ivanfj

First off, welcome to the board

How long is your tank been set up?? If it's a new tank, then I think you are undergoing a cycle and most fish won't live through a cycle. Do you do any test?? If not, buy a test kit and test for ammo, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
Tell us more about your setup. What substrate, any LR, your filtration, latest water parameter result etc

stapler

Oh by the way....welcome to the board!
Make sure you read read read! You will learn a lot of stuff from these people here.
stapler

awligon

Originally posted by ivanfj
First off, welcome to the board

How long is your tank been set up?? If it's a new tank, then I think you are undergoing a cycle and most fish won't live through a cycle. Do you do any test?? If not, buy a test kit and test for ammo, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
Tell us more about your setup. What substrate, any LR, your filtration, latest water parameter result etc

ouch, maybe I should just pay someone to take care of it for me. I don't understand much of that. I'll go and get a kit tomorrow.

I

ivanfj

For your info, after a cycle, your ammo, nitrite should be at absolute zero, pH around 8.2-8.4 IMO, nitrate to be less than 20ppm would be good for fish.
I hope your fish can survive but I am sorry to say in a new tank, it's really hard to keep them through the cycle.
Agree with stapler, go slow, read read read. I would also filter out what your LFS tells you. I always think they sometimes don't speak for the love of the hobby. $__$

stapler

This is true, make sure you know exactly what you are going to get or are looking for when you go to the LFS. Also check out ---- for ideas on prices on some things

shrkbait

Need specs on the tank. How old is it and what are the water parameters.
We can help but we need something to work with.
A lot of knowledge is needed to understand how saltwater tanks work. Dont be intimidated...just take it slow...very slow, and you'll enjoy every minute of it. I can almost garauntee that. Once you understand how the tank works and you've had it runnig well for a while, it gets much easier and more enjoyable to maintain. Not nearly as much hassle as when your first starting out.
HTH
Welcome by the way

gregvabch

how much LIVE rock do you have in the tank? how long have you had your tank set up for? have you cycled it yet? what kind of lights do you have? filter? protein skimmer? if you do not know what the nitrogen cycle is, you should take all of your livestock back to the pet store, otherwise it is going to die, due to a spike in your ammonia produced by your fish, with no biological bacteria to consume or break it down into nitrite, then nitrate. welcome to the board

dicemanj

I also lost a clown a couple days ago, I think my green brittle star ate it. I was adding more LR tinight and noticed the GBS was eating my feather duster, needless to say, no more GBS.