my coral beauty ate $100s worth coral

ms3

remember i was tell you all that i got 11-13 heads of torch well i am down to 2 1/2 it ate 1 1/2 candycain a nice chunk out of my spung, niped my clam, niped acro's. the only thing it dident touch in my tank was my open brain and galaxia. i feed the thing well i just went to a LFS and bought live brine for it. i cought it mid at of eating my torch when i came home from work. im so pissed.
well any suggestions of what i should get. its 29 gal, i have a cin clown, yellow clown goby, 3 green cromis and fire fish.all tiny i want something that is going to swim around alot, the clown stays in the nem the goby just purches, and the fire is to mellow.

marinefanantic

Coral Beauty:
Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallon
Coral Safe: Yes
Invertebrate Safe: Monitor
Hmm, kinda weird to me. You feeding it enough?

What size is the tank?

ms3

yea yea i know it was in a 29. i feed it every day or at least tried i tried flake,pellet, mysis, froz brine and live brine but it wouldnet ever eat much

monalisa

Originally Posted by ms3
http:///forum/post/2928728
remember i was tell you all that i got 11-13 heads of torch well i am down to 2 1/2 it ate 1 1/2 candycain a nice chunk out of my spung, niped my clam, niped acro's. the only thing it dident touch in my tank was my open brain and galaxia. i feed the thing well i just went to a LFS and bought live brine for it. i cought it mid at of eating my torch when i came home from work. im so pissed.
well any suggestions of what i should get. its 29 gal, i have a cin clown, yellow clown goby, 3 green cromis and fire fish.all tiny i want something that is going to swim around alot, the clown stays in the nem the goby just purches, and the fire is to mellow.
Wow, that sounds like a lot in a 29gal. Could it be that your angel is stressed? Just a thought.
Lisa

shyfish

Hi,
I had a Hippo Tang that ate my coral. Some fish just get a taste for it. It was well fed, and not stressed. It was just a butthead. I caught my gobbler (not an easy task) took it a LFS and traded it for another fish.
As long as the nibbler is in the tank you will not be able to keep corals, once they start they will not stop.
I have nother Hippo Tang and I have no problems. The Coral Beauty can be replaced with another Coral Beauty and you won't have a drop of trouble.
Reef safe fish that become coral eaters are rare. But it happens.

sickboy

Originally Posted by MarineFANantic
http:///forum/post/2928749
Coral Beauty:
Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallon
Coral Safe: Yes

Invertebrate Safe: Monitor
Hmm, kinda weird to me. You feeding it enough?

What size is the tank?
Depend on where you research, some will not give a "yes"

ms3

well the fish is gone i had to rip appart my hole tank put everything that it dident eat in a bucket just to catch him and took him to the a lfs to get store credit. a big $8, i cant coming to much i only got him for $10 but thats not the point. so you think i could get another one or something like a flame angel. i just want something that is going to move around a bit.
it is alot of coral but then agin not to bad i posted a pic of the tank once before and there was still plently of room and that i have no zoo's left and what not. so i guess more room for more stuff now

paintballer768

Mine went AWOL too but not as insane hahaha. Im sorry to hear about your losses. I would recommend you do what I did, any fish that have a possible history of nipping/non reef-safe behavior, dont do it.
Im telling you now, the flame angel will probably do the exact same thing. If you are looking for color (and your stock list permits adding another fish), I would look into the midas blenny, yellow coris wrasse, or yellow watchman goby. Look around and see what you like

ms3

i suppose you all are right no more angels. no triggers.
i have a yellow clown goby (tiny) cin clown (small) 1 fire fish (small) 3 green cromis( tiny)
i should be able to push one or two more. i know for a fact im going to get a spotted garden eel. if you konw nothing about then they barry there bodys i the sand and stick about 2-3 in up an sway in the current. i like exocit stuff dosent have to be colorful. but there is so much to choose from thats why i was asking for your ideas

spanko

Quote;
"The main portion of the Garden eel is usually buried in the sand, and if approached, retreats into the substrate. Several of these eels may be kept together in a 100 gallon or larger aquarium with at least 6 inches of sand, a gentle current, and without aggressive tank mates. Decor should be kept at a minimum. A tight-fitting lid is required to prevent escape."
You are going to put that in a 29 gallon tank with 6 other fish? Seems like a lot to me.

ms3

i dont see how that is to bad? thats about 5gals per a fish thats about the size of a feeder fish. or a quarter.

stanlalee

odd that it didn't touch the open brain. that is usually the first thing they go for due to the large meaty mucusy area. I had to move my open brain to the sump everytime I got a questionable reef safe fish. dwarf angels and toby puffers went straight for it.

oceansidefish

You need AT LEAST 6 inches of sand for a garden eel... I am seriously doubting you have that in a 29G. I would strongly recommend against it.

ibew

what u have is a 29 gal time bomb.Wth that amount of bioload crappy skimmer and all the feeding your going too have to do to keep those fish healthy with no fuge those trates will be through the roof with phos through the roof and algea blooms with cyno bassically you have the perfect storm with that tang inthere good luck too you hope everything works out