My D.I.Y Chaeto Mini-Refugium for NanoTanks....

whisk

Originally Posted by kromix
http:///forum/post/2852327
Yes, exactly what I'm lookin for.... But those holes r big enough for pods??
Oh yea you said they go around it right because it doesn't cover the exit entirely ?
I would say the holes are big enough for pods to go through. And yes the rack isnt snug right against the chamber wall so pods can go around the rack if they wanted.

kamy

Originally Posted by kromix
http:///forum/post/2851339
One of the big things too on growth is the color of the light, these are 5600k, well in the range for chaeto....
I will report back in 3 weeks on it's growth....

Well, I sure hope your cheato is growing because I just got my lights in the mail. Impressed with the ideas you guys had here, enough that I am trying this myself. I'm going to try and make a basket out of the fiberglass screen inside of the eggcrate so I can place my live rock rubble in the assembly, so it'll be more of a basket that I can lift the whole thing out if necessary, rock, cheato and lights.
It'll be this weekend before I get the thing assembled, so if you can report on how that cheato did, I anxious to hear :)

kamy

For any of you guys who have done this mod (or similar) on a BioCube 29...(or any other nanocube of similar design)
Did you remove the tray at the bottom of chamber 2 (so you can have the whole camber for rubble and cheato)? If so how did you do it? Is it designed to be removable or did it have to be cut out? As my tank is stocked and chamber 2 is full of rock rubble, I haven't really taken a good look back there yet.
Thanks in advance :)

kamy

Okay, just emptied out chamber 2 and found the tray there is removable, I'm doing this project today :)

dive girl

Okay Kromix, you''ve had plenty of time now........are you happy with your diy fuge?? Did you make any changes?
Thanks for posting the pictures. I think I'll make one this weekend (oh, wait...have to order the lights first!!)

kamy

I think any superglue that uses cyanoacrylate is okay. I used Loctite Super Glue Gel. I have also used that for securing coral frags and it works well, just doesn't dry as quick underwater :)

kamy

Okay,
I just got a bunch of cheato in there today, tossed in about a softball sized chunk. I will report back when/if I see any growth.
Ummm, anyone know how fast this stuff grows? I'd just like to get an idea of how soon/often I will have to open up the back to check on it. I would imagine it depends on quite a few factors, (lighting period, available nutrients, etc.) but this is my first time ever using macro algae so I have no idea.

kromix

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/2915718
Okay Kromix, you''ve had plenty of time now........are you happy with your diy fuge?? Did you make any changes?
Thanks for posting the pictures. I think I'll make one this weekend (oh, wait...have to order the lights first!!)

Yes, no changes, grows just fine, seems like its doing its job.. (sorry for the late reply)

kamy

Okay here are a couple of action shots
This top photo is the drip tray in place. I also use some filter media over the top of this to catch stuff in the water column, really reduces the amount of stuff I've got flowing around this biocube. I've got high current and a sand sifting goby so there is always stuff stirred up and flowing around.
The second photo is the drip tray removed and water flowing into chamber twos refugium mod.
The third shot is with the pumps off and my rock and cheato down in the chamber. Rock and cheato are fully submerged, although I may have two much rock in there, the cheato does not have much too room to grow, unless it packs in tight, I don't know, this is my first attempt at growing it :)

detane

If reefers would buy nanos with built in refugiums these strange looking DIYs wouldnt be needed. Im not a genius but Something tells me that using Screen (for screen doors and windows) is not a good idea do to its high ability to release harmfull substances into the aquarium. Doesnt matter if you use the Polyester Core, Bronze, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass, because they all use Glues that will desolve over time into your aquarium.

It was a Great Idea thow, just not thought out all the way through.

I believe AQUA MEDIC is coming out with a 29 gallon nano with all the extras already built in just like the Nanowave 9 hey released which already includes a built in refugium, refugium light, and skimmer.

bdhb12

Hey guys i have a 29g bio cube and was wanting to do something similar, I have a few low watt led strips lying aroung that go in cars/closets but I don't belive they are enough. I found a 3watt led strip designed to fit in the top would it still work with your eggcrate design?