My D.I.Y Chaeto Mini-Refugium for NanoTanks....

kamy

Originally Posted by DETANE
http:///forum/post/2929259
If reefers would buy nanos with built in refugiums these strange looking DIYs wouldnt be needed. Im not a genius but Something tells me that using Screen (for screen doors and windows) is not a good idea do to its high ability to release harmfull substances into the aquarium. Doesnt matter if you use the Polyester Core, Bronze, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Fiberglass, because they all use Glues that will desolve over time into your aquarium.

It was a Great Idea thow, just not thought out all the way through.

I believe AQUA MEDIC is coming out with a 29 gallon nano with all the extras already built in just like the Nanowave 9 hey released which already includes a built in refugium, refugium light, and skimmer.
Well, unfortunately for me, and many others, nanos with built in everything (refugium, skimmer, etc) were not always available. Nor does everyone have the money available to just toss out everything they have and start over with the latest and greatest system, (usually redesigned or newly designed on the feedback and mods from intrepid hobbyists).
Your point about the screens breaking down and leaching is a good point. Do you have any testing data? I'm just curious where the "high ability to release harmful substances" comes from? If you have data to support that please post a link.
Or is that just conjecture?

kamy

Originally Posted by Bdhb12
http:///forum/post/2929364
Hey guys i have a 29g bio cube and was wanting to do something similar, I have a few low watt led strips lying aroung that go in cars/closets but I don't belive they are enough. I found a 3watt led strip designed to fit in the top would it still work with your eggcrate design?
Well, if it is not submersible I would make sure it is water resistant before attempting to use it in the top of the tank, and make sure it was mounted securely so it didn't fall into the water.
I guess the only way to find out if it is the proper spectrum for growing plants is to go to the manufacturer and find out what the kelvin rating is, or set it up and test it for a couple of weeks :)

detane

Originally Posted by Kamy
http:///forum/post/2929700
Well, unfortunately for me, and many others, nanos with built in everything (refugium, skimmer, etc) were not always available. Nor does everyone have the money available to just toss out everything they have and start over with the latest and greatest system, (usually redesigned or newly designed on the feedback and mods from intrepid hobbyists).
Your point about the screens breaking down and leaching is a good point. Do you have any testing data? I'm just curious where the "high ability to release harmful substances" comes from? If you have data to support that please post a link.
Or is that just conjecture?
I doubt there is a Data sheet floating around about reefers using Window Screens in the aquarium.

I'm not trying to put anybody down but it is just common sence, just look at the screen, it was glued and heated together. Plus most of them have pestacides to kill off the flies that land on the screen. A Better screen to use for this application would be a screen useed for silk screening, made of nylon, weaved together and not glued, that would be better.
Or try usig an acrylic mesh with holes big enough for pods. Or buy a Fish Net and cut out the pieces you need. Large Fish Nets go for about $10 at BIG 5, Kmart, and other fishing stores.

kamy

Excellent suggestions :)
If I begin to have a problem with my screen breaking down (or suspect toxins) I will certainly do that.
And that is the way we learn and make things better :D

bdhb12

I wasn't able to find any eggcrate here they only had plastic sheets so i got cpvc pipe (&elbows), marine sealant and this 9watt softwhite undercounter fluorescent light and some superglue. I also got fiberglass windscreen material but now i'm scared to use it and I dunno if anyone around her sells fishnets.

kamy

Check the label, does it say pesticide impregnated or anything like that?
Mine has been in the tank for almost two weeks and no ill effects. Anyone else using standard window screening? How long have you been using it? Has it broken down, screen separating indicating lose of glue, etc?

kamy

I do not believe fiberglass is a problem, there are other fiberglass products produced for aquariums, ponds etc.

bdhb12

I was wanting to put some chemi pure elite in mine i built mine out of cpvc and can post a pic if you would like but i was wondering where to put it. A guy on the phone told me to put it in the return tank but i wanted to have the spill over spill into it. What are your thoughts?

kamy

When I run chemicals in my BC29 I put them in the third chamber (the return), I then place the bagged chemicals right on top of where the mechanical filtration sponge is.
I feel this forces the water through the chemicals as it is pulled out of chamber 2. It has worked well for me so far this way.

bdhb12

yeah i'll show you pics soon but the schools web is slow. Note that this thing is in 'beta' still trying to get it to fit and all.

Kamy-do you leave the sponge in an clean it or did you remove it? I will look around in that chamber to see if i can see how you put the chemi in there

bdhb12

ok for pics...

This one is the cpvc construct all done (mostly) need the fiberglass screen added (to the right) Was waiting to see if I should put it on any certain way.

This one is the construct in the chamber you can't really tell but the pipes go above the spillway a bit but I don't know if that a prob yet, I can always make them shorter, but not taller

This one shows the construct under the bottom plate, I put it on top cause it had more hole for water movement and i was thinking if I moved it below the spillway I could use it to place a chemi bag on top of.
BTW I got a medium/large media bag did I get the right size?

kamy

Hey, Nice frame :)
I think the med/large bag is fine, just use the recommended amount of media, and when you tie the bag closed, make sure the drawstring is not going to fall down and end up getting sucked up into your pumps impeller.
As for the filtration sponge, I usually clean it out with every (or every other) water change. Once you fill a bucket with water you're removing from the tank, pull the sponge and swish it around and squeeze it out gently in the old water to get the trapped detritus out of it, then replace in the tank.
I usually try and net the pods that come running out of it and return them to the tank too :)

nissan577

really nice frame! thankyou. i think ima go with that! but for now ima let the chaeto freely in the cup!

bdhb12

yeah I read your nano diary and I liked your setup but I wanted to place a cage to control the cheto but give it more room to grow. but as for the pods can they get through the windscreen or should a make some bigger holes? also i was thinking to make a net at the top of my cage to lay the chemipure on top of, what do you all think?

nissan577

for the pods i will make atleast a big hole. well not that big
and yea i think the net for the chemipure perfect!

and thanks

bdhb12

Should I use anyother chemical? also I havn't read any real evidence of all this but does the tank smell during cycle and if so how bad? There be girls here! Oh and when I get started should I do a diary to get help when I need it? You nano people are quicker to answer!

nissan577

thanks. well we all love diarys as you can tell. they help us in it and everything. chemipure works really great. also about the smell idk. but my tank has a smell of the ocean water. everytime i go snorkeling it has a smell that my tank has. idk if its good but i love it. and so do the ladies!

bdhb12

How are those LED's working? Also the seller seems to be in the UK is that right? I can't seem to find anyother way to keep me biocube looking stock than those submersable LED's! (don't want to scratch off paint!)