My Decision

quaos

I have decided on a 15 Gallon Tall Aquarium Tank size. I am going to be buying 1 h. erectus seahorse for it. What type of filter is good for a 15 Gallon? I'm thinking just a hang on but suggestions on specific brands are great. Where is the best place to buy the tank? My lfs didn't have one but of course can order a 15G one for me but if you have one close to me then great!(Canton, MI) Would I need a skimmer? I'm going to need a clean up crew. Any type that is best for nano and seahorse safe? How much LR and LS do you recomend? Should I buy a plant or dead coral piece for my seahorse to hitch onto? What lighting? Would I need any type of blower?
Anything else I need?
Thanks all!
I know a lot of questions :happyfish

dgott2000

Hey I had 3 seahorses in a 10g tank for over a year and they required minimal effort on my part. As far as a cleanup crew this is what worked for me: about a dozen or so small hermits (my rule of thumb is one hermit per gallon), a few small snails (probably not all that necessary), one sandsifting star, and one cleaner shrimp. I had 10 pounds of live sand and a few pounds of high quality live rock- its worth the extra cost because the live sand and live rock keep the water exceptionally clean. I had a small whisper filter (I think a whisper 10 or 20) that I ran on its lowest flow but I put bag of activated charcoal in it instead of the pads it came with...the charcoal can be rinsed as needed in cold water and can be changed every couple of months or so. To be frank with you although a skimmer would always help out its very hard to find a good skimmer that actually works for such a small tank, most of the really good skimmers are for big big tanks and the rest are crap.
From my local store I also got a handful of that green plant you see in the pic (I'm blanking on the name right now) and I planted it into the sand. Because of the low water flow this plant added the necessary oxygen to the water and reduced nitrates from uneaten food. I essentially kept the hermit crabs nearly starving so that way they would never leave any uneaten food hanging around.
I was told from several sources that seahorses need to be fed live food daily because their digestive systems are so delicate and if you miss a day they will die. This was not true for me at all. MAKE SURE that before you buy a seahorse you ask what it is eating and ask to watch it eat. If you do not see the seahorse actually eat do not buy it. Seahorses are VERY finicky eaters I fed my seahorses both live brine shrimp and also frozen mysis shrimp. Eventually all three of my seahorses switched to the frozen mysis shrimp, which has many more nutrients. Also it got to the point where I could feed them one every week or two and they were absolutely fine, they would eat well but certainly did not need to eat daily. I think I may have just had particularly good luck/fish karma, but this is certainly why its important to really watch them in the store before you buy them.
As far as lighting it doesn't really matter. I had just a cheap fluorescent bulb which was enough to keep the live rock and the plantlife alive, but the seahorses themselves don't need any special lighting. The other thing I had in the tank was a lot of things for the seahorses to hang on. They love to wrap their tail around anything (including each other) and then try to eat things that float by. Make sure the water flow in the tank is low enough so that there is no real current because seahorses are very weak swimmers. Definitely no blower because that flow will overpower them for sure.
Also I put in a purple linkia starfish just because I like their color (You can sort of see him in one of the pics on the upper right part of the tank by the filter). They are unnecessary and hard to keep and if I were going to do it again I probably wouldn't put one in there but its up to you :)
So again, the most important things were the sandsifting star, a cleaner shrimp, plenty of hermits, good live rock and live sand, and anything for the seahorses to hold onto. Feel free to send me an email with anything else I might be able to help with dgottli1@du.edu
-Dave

quaos

• 15 Gallon Tall Tank
  • 12 pounds of live sand <Would 10 be okay? Because it is easier to purchase?>
    Live Rock <I have heard 1.3 lbs per gallon. That is 20lbs. Is that too much? The lfs has LR for $2/lb and have a lot of roundish like pieces. I will look into the live rock set-ups for sea horses and decide. Comments are good on this part>
  • Aqua Clear 30 Hang-On-Back Power Filter <http://www.***********.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HG10600 Would this be too powerful? I would like to guarantee a clean tank. Would I be okay with the 20?>
    What type of heater?
    Will I need a refractometer?
I am only buying a sea horse I know is captive bread and is the species h. erectus. I am planning on feeding it frozen mysis shrimp and it should not be hard because CB seahorses are eating that their whole life. I went to the lfs and they did have a seahorse. The two workers there were tied up and it was getting close to closing time so I was not able to ask the questions but I still need a tank and cycling to be complete. No rush.
Any more suggestions on equipment or places to buy equipment or even the seahorse? Please to comment and give your opinion. It is very much appreciated.
Thank you all.

dgott2000

I sent you those pics, let me know if you can't see them. I would go with a small filter or at least one that you can adjust the flow because you don't want the seahorses to get sucked into it or have to fight the current all the time. 20 pounds of live rock seems like too much to me... you'd probably be fine with 10-15 lbs. Also the rock that is sold as florida live rock that looks like bowling balls is no good. Basically they dump pieces of concrete into the ocean in florida, wait a few years for it to become live rock then harvest it and sell it for cheap but because it is concrete on the inside it will eventually leech toxins into the water and with such a small tank you don't want that to happen. If you can find fiji rock (it usually sells for around $6-8 a pound near me) that is usually the best. Try to find some that has purple on it, that is coraline algae and is really good for the tank. 10 pounds of live sand would be fine. I forget the type of heater I used but I think it was like Ewo-jima or something like that...ask at the store for a recommendation...basically the main risk is that it malfunctions and stays heating and will cook your tank. A refractometer is unnecessary but a good hydrometer is always a good investment.
http://www.aquadirect.com/store/image.php?productid=386
This is the hydrometer I recommend, it's cheap, easy and reliable. Every week or two you should do a water change...in your case syphoning 5 gallons out and putting 5 gallons of RO salt water (from your local fish store) every two weeks would essentially guarantee good water quality and a clean tank. Water will eventually evaporate from the tank and the hydrometer is a good way to make sure the salinity (saltiness) of the water stays where it needs to be.. if it gets too high you should add fresh RO water also from your local fish store, but you probably will only need a gallon every few weeks or so, if that.
Again, before you buy the seahorse make sure you see it eat in the shop otherwise you're setting yourself up for guaranteed failure.
-Dave

quaos

I will probably end up buying the LS and LR from here because at least I'm guarenteed quality. I will definately be back to the store to see the seahorse eat and ask the proper questions. Don't want to buy one to have it soon die because of something I could have easily prevented.
Have you remember what type of plant that was? Is it hard to maintain? Does it grow everywhere?
I would like a plant for a natural hitching post but I'm not sure what kind is good for the tank opposed to bad.
The white and red pieces look like dead coral. Are they fake? Did your seahorse take a liking to them for hitching? What are the orange pieces in the first picture?
With LR and buying 12lbs think it woud be possible/ideal to set up some type of a tunnel? I know the environment is my decision but opinions are wonderful from people with expieriance.
You have a very nice tank. I hope mine can turn out that well.
Thank you so much

dgott2000

I forget the name of the plant but it is common and very easy to maintain. If your nitrates get high you'll see the plant start to grow and if the nitrates are low then it shouldn't grow much at all...either way is okay because you can always trim it back if it grows too much.
The white piece was a plastic fake thing, the red and yellow things are called gorgonians, they are corals that don't require light, both have little feather-like things that come out of the sides of the stems when it is feeding... they are pretty cool and even if they die they stay the same color and look the same. my seahorses loved to hang on them. I used the fake plastic thing to sort of guard the filter intake so the seahorses couldn't get sucked into it.
12lbs of live rock sounds pretty good- experiment with some landscaping to see what you like best :) good luck!
-Dave

quaos

Skipping ahead now to after I cycle this tank and have it set-up. What would you consider the order in which to put livestock. I would have a few snails and I'm a little worried about hermits. If I buy small ones will my seahorse be safe. I know this site >http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/tankmates.shtml< considers a hermit crab a 1. 0 being the safest. I would think they'd be okay but should I stick to smaller ones? I was planning on cycling with the LS and LR in. When would I add the plant? The gorgonians? I assume the seahorse last. Correct me if I'm wrong
Thank you :jumping:

teresaq

hi and welcome. I just set up my 37 gal seahorse tank. 15 lbs of lr should be fine, you have a tall tank, so be prepared for it being hard to stack. I wish i had gotten more branch type rock for mine. I habe an aquaclear 20 and a H O T magnum canister filter for mine. I also added a maxijet 1200 with a spray bar behind my rock work to keep everything clean back there. as far as plant life. look for Macroalgea. I have a few pieces, and have some more comming. Do a google search, there are a lot of differant kinds, and some are easier to take care of then others. Also look at lighting for them. some will need a lot of light. I have 250 mh on my 37 gal. go to seahorse dot org there are a lot of experianced people there and they know seahorses.

quaos

Well I went tank searching today. I hit the PetSmart where they had only 10 then 20 and bigger. I went to the Fish Doctor which actually has quality stuff and expieriance in the SW business but the 3 suppliers they dealt with don't make a 15G high tank and had never heard of one. So I was kind of bummed but went out to eat with my girlfriend and on my way home I had to get some Nutrical stuff for my cat at the Pet Supplies Plus which I had no idea had fish or aquariums. Well I found a $35 15G High Tank. I haven't bought it yet though. The top was $32 and all it was is a plastic top with a light and open up halfway. In my opinion obviously not worth it. Is there a way to get a top that allows a hang-on filter and light? (Will anything else be over or on the tank top?) Since a tank like this is so rare I just wonder if the quality is any good. Once I buy it is there a way I can check for leaks without using RO water? Would regular tap work? Would I need to clean it out after? If so, what with?
At the fish doctor I asked about their sea horse. It doesn't seem to have many hitching spots. There is one on the live rock and the two PVC pipes I assume are used for sumps. He seems to hitch kind of sidewaysish on the bottom of the PVC pipes. Should I be worried? I asked what kind of species they have and he said hippocampus which there are many different types of hippocampuses. I want a hippocampus erectus. I also asked about feed and they said live brine, frozen brine, and frozen mysis. He added that the frozen mysis is more fattier and nutrious so at least he knew that mysis was the correct feed. I just realize typing this that I didn't ask if it was CB or WC. I also didn't see it fed because I know I will be back to check in and it will be a while before I am able to buy the seahorse. I kind of felt a little iffy on the seahorse there. Has anyone had any success on buying captive bred seahorses online? Can you post the site and any comment about it. (Looking for CB. h. erectus)
I know the lfs didn't have any gorgonians. Anyone know of a place online I can buy those? The one on this site needed a lot of flow obviously I can't provide that with a seahorse.
I will probably buy the hermits and snails at the lfs because of the ease. I have decided not to go with a plant.
The question is...with 15 hermits, 3 or 4 snails, a seahorse, a hang-on filter that is built for 15 or 20Gallons on low flow/current, 1 or 2 gorgonians, 10lbs of LS from here, 12lbs of LR from here, will my tank be easily kept clean or will there be too much of a bioload and throw my water quality off? If so, would I need to add a specific type of livestock, plant, or mechanical device?
I think those are all the question I have. The help I have had so far has been great. I appreciate it very much.
My most previous most about introducing livestock into a cycled tank hasn't really been answered to my knowledge. If you like take a stab at it.
Thank you all very much!

hi1369

hey i use to live in canton also, until i moved up to commerce. there is a Something Fishy in westland that do salt water.it would be a good place to check.also in Ypsi there is another Fish Doctor that carries alot more salt water supplies than the one in canton.They also carry gorgonians and different kinds of live rock.also i think there prices are better in
Ypsi than the fish doctors in Canton.