My Devils Hand Turned GREEN?

kat 4

Hi - We have a 75 gallon reef with a Devils Hand Brown leather coral near the top. We just changed 1 of our 2 metal halides (150 w) from a 10k to a 14k. The light was about a year old. Our devils hand has turned completely green in a couple days. No it is not algae. Did we burn it or will it be ok? That's why we only changed one bulb to slowly acclimate the corals but I was shocked. It doesn't look dead (yet) but just completely green. Any ideas?? Thanks

saltn00b

does it look un healthy? or just a color change?
if your MH was a year old, then it was already 6 months older than it should have been, and the wavelengths were probably off at that point.
i have seen a bunch of green devils hands, and never a brown one. maybe some fleshy pinks, but not brown that i can recall.

kat 4

I guess it was a fleshy tan color. It looks ok so far...
When we first changed the lights (oops - on waiting too long) there were little green spots that showed up on the coral - now it is completely green. I guess time will tell but so far it looks ok. I'd never seen this before....thanks for your info.

saltn00b

so it is entirely possible that the coral's natural color is a shade of green, and with proper lighting it simply colored up.

kat 4

Ok - here it is...the actinics just came on so the tank thinks it is beginning to be nighttime...so it's laying down a little. Craziest thing.....I still can't believe this.

scott79

thats exactly what mine looks like. i got it about 2 weeks ago and it is still that color. was kind of a yellow/tan color when i got it. dunno whats wrong

kat 4

OK - Mystery is SOLVED! The leather is shedding its skin today and there is a new covering of brown under the skin! It's truly brown/fleshy colored and is returning to normal. The lights must have caused it to do something strange!!