My diamond goby

M

marineang

First day I had him, I didn't see him at all. The next day he made his appearance and I found him to be the funniest little guy everl. Unfortunately, haven't seen him again in 3 full days. I so much want to stir up the sand and find him, but I just keep waiting.... I haven't seen any change in burrows or anything. I'm just afraid something has happened to him. Ammonia levels haven't risen so I'm not all that sure he's died under there somewhere.

briand7878

Check the floor. Mine jumped ship about a day after I got him. My dog was kind enough to bring him to me though. They are notorious for jumping so get something to cover the top of the tank. Mine also hid behind the rocks constantly so i would think hes doing one or the other. Good luck.

M

marineang

Shoooooot!
I knew he didn't jump out, I had researched and made sure to cover it tightly because I knew they were jumpers. Today I just couldn't resist, I had to dig around a little, I pulled up a rock and he floated to the top. Weird thing about it is he's decomposed quite a bit and the most horrific smell came up out of the water, I've never experienced that before ever. I almost threw up it was strong. I am really saddened, loved that fish for the short time I had him.

subielover

Sorry to hear that. I would check all your parameters to see if anything is out of whack. Also I would do a 25% water change.

t316

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like something could have been wrong with this fish before you got him, since it all happened this fast. Other possiblities could be acclimation process, not eating, etc.

M

marineang

Thanks

I have the test tubes out already to test. I did test yesterday and noted the ammonia hadn't risen but am concerned that the decomposing was released when I pulled up the rock with that smell. Thanks...I will do a water change regardless I think. He was living with a clown and I certainly want to make sure he is in ideal conditions.
Ughhh, I'm so bummed. I really fell in love with that fish. Can they really decompose that fast?

M

marineang

Damn...big change in ammonia from yesterday to day. It's high (.50). Doing water change as we speak.

big

Damn, Sorry the little Rotor-Tiller kicked the bucket............ They are a interesting fish............. With a new fish. Aclimation is always my first thought if it dies soon after introduction....... And yes do a large PC with the levels that high...........Good Luck...
Here is a shot of mine, after sevral years with no top and he is still digging away............He just does not seem to jump out of my little tide pool

M

marineang

Good god Big, how do you get such gorgoeus pics?!?!? He's amazing, what a great looking little guy.
Mine looked exactly the same (sad)

big

Originally Posted by marineang
http:///forum/post/2876458
Good god Big, how do you get such gorgoeus pics?!?!? He's amazing, what a great looking little guy.
Mine looked exactly the same (sad)
Thanks, it is just lots of practice, taking lots of shots and free time being retired.............. Again sorry about your little guy.........
Those are all taken with my very old 4 meg Olyphus......... Wife got me the new Canon XTI 12.2 meg for Christmas, can't wait to get to try it out....... Now if she will give me the 450 bucks
for the 100mm Macro lens I will be all set..........

t316

I guess I should have elaborated...Mine has a very obvious black "patch" under his lower jaw. It's always been there. I kind of assumed it was frow all of those "jabs in the sand".

big

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2876519
Hey, off topic...kind of....does your DG's have a "black spot" under their chin?
Nope, No black spot on mine, and I have not seen any gender issues concerning this in my books. Mine say disection and finding the correct parts inside Ouch. But my book may be too general on this subject,, Just taking about the group in general,,,,,, Does yours have a black spot???
.................... But one other think I have read in larger systems they do work well in mated pairs.......

kungfugrip

Unfortunately I had the same experience : (
I bought a pair for my 150... I loved them!! Probably my favorite fish to watch. Then one went missing... then the other. I thought my Brittle Star got the first one but then he showed up decomposed. A week later... the second went missing and hasnt popped back up since (levels havent changed). I dont wanna dig around and stress everyone out.
My tank is still fairly new (3months) and Im feeling like they may have starved. They cleaned the sand till there was no sand to clean.
Now my dilemma is that im starting to get brown algae on the sand again and dont know what to do about it. Anyone have suggestions? Im afraid to put another in...

t316

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2876597
Nope, No black spot on mine, and I have not seen any gender issues concerning this in my books. Mine say disection and finding the correct parts inside Ouch. But my book may be too general on this subject,, Just taking about the group in general,,,,,, Does yours have a black spot???
.................... But one other think I have read in larger systems they do work well in mated pairs.......

Yes, mine does. I can see that the one in your pics has no black. It is interesting.

big

Originally Posted by kungfugrip
http:///forum/post/2879054
Unfortunately I had the same experience : (
I bought a pair for my 150... I loved them!! Probably my favorite fish to watch. Then one went missing... then the other. I thought my Brittle Star got the first one but then he showed up decomposed. A week later... the second went missing and hasnt popped back up since (levels havent changed). I dont wanna dig around and stress everyone out.
My tank is still fairly new (3months) and Im feeling like they may have starved. They cleaned the sand till there was no sand to clean.
Now my dilemma is that im starting to get brown algae on the sand again and dont know what to do about it. Anyone have suggestions? Im afraid to put another in...
Sorry you lost them.
My first thought would be starvation in a newer system. A new GB would live on pods till he learned to eat other things which takes time. Once a 150 has aged with a good amount of Live Rock in the tank a DG should be fine. Although mine is a real pig and eats anything that goes in the water, that was a learning thing for him. (Once he almost chocked to death on a whole Algae tab he got stuck in his throat)
As to the brown stuff , do you use RO water, if not it could be Diatoms.

big

Quote....Yes, mine does. I can see that the one in your pics has no black. It is interesting........
Hummm maybe like the Mazda guy said it is a gender thing?? What I have in writing on them does not show that trait......Now I need to do some "Googling"

zoalover34

I had 1 for a few days, i was about to cover the back of my tank when i got home from work then i was like nah ill do it tomorrow im tired.. Long story short my dog found it and was nice enought to bring it to me also.. So now i have a cover and im going to get a new 1 in the morning! I love these guys!