My diy ca reactor...finally

kpk

All I can say is...No wonder they are so expensive...
I started my project last Friday, and now I am finally done except a few tweeks here and there and setting it up.
It has been quite the adventure. Can't wait to get the ca kick'n and my sps start growing.
For the past few months since I have gotten into sps I have been just adding a two part ca/alk liquid. I finally got the the point where I couldn't stand spending so much money and having to mess with it everyday. So about 2 weeks ago I started planning my diy hoping to save big money, but as it progressed I started looking into cast acylic etc and I spent a little more than planned, but still saved about 100 bucks or so. I guess I could justify that saying I have enough left overs to build a kalk reactor to go along with the ca reactor.
For the mixing pump I am using a mag3 reverse flow from bottom to top of reactor. It is made with 4-1/2"x18" clear cast acrylic tubing. The base and the lid base are made with black cast acrylic sheet 1/2" and the lids with 1/4" black acrylic sheet. Using John Guest speed fittings should be pretty easy maintenance. Also used uniseals for the mixing pump intake and outlet.
For the Co2 system I ordered a regulator/bubble counter/Co2 solenoid, and a Milwaukee ph controller for 100 bucks on ---- (thoguht that was pretty decent). Also got a 5lb. Co2 bottle and 2-1/2 gallons of reactor media.
If anyone has questions and/or comments please tell me/ask me about them.
Kyle

kpk

I actually gave up on making the joint seal at the acrylic sheet and just made inserts for the top and bottom and on the top I cut a 3-1/2" hole. It was kinda like a base for the lid to set on. It also gave me something to play with to level it all out pretty good.
But yes it is a big pain. It will be worth it though.
Thanks for the compliments.
So when are you going to start yours?

kpk

Kip, I just figured you where going to build a ca reactor yourself? Considering your big tank you are setting up. BTW I love the cl you got going on.
Chris, I just did it myself. Didn't have any plans, but I could explain or maybe draw some up sometime.

kpk

I knew that you built the k-reactors, but figured you would go ahead and do a ca too. On the kalk reactors did you use the rubber gasket (thought you did)? Did they leak any? Mine leaks a little around the top gasket and I don't know what to do about it? Should I use some silicone? Or what?
Do you want plans Chris?

kpk

I just hooked up the regulator to the bottle, but I don't know how to set it up? Make it bubble, etc.?
Here are a few new/updated pics.

kpk

And the regulator and tank.
Please, any help would be great. I am setting it up tomorrow.

montidanae

on the Co2 regulator there is a glass bubble counter, fill it up halfway or so with regular water, attach the 1/4in tube to the top of the bubble counter, attach the other of the 1/4" tube to the reactor, turn the regualtor on, you want abbout 30 bubbles per minute and 60ml of water coming out per minute, it will take a few weeks to get to the right amount in and out for your tank, depending on how many corals you have.