My DIY canopy...

rob1116

...almost done, just have to get another 120mm fan, secure all the wiring, hide the equipment, and clean this room!
Hardware:
175w Ushio 10K MH
2 x 75w URI VHO Super Actinic
The effect is better than I could have hoped for!
This tank is now officially prime reef realestate! Time to stock this ma-fvcka! (sorry, to much trailer park boys!)

rob1116

Yup, over my 40g. 325w over a 40 is a little much I guess, but it's a 40 tall (30Lx12Wx24H) so it shoud be okay.
FLATBOYZ : Not entirely sure yet. I would guess that with this setup, lighting wouldn't be the limiting factor in what I can keep. Being fairly tall, I can always place lower light animals near the bottom.
A nice Tridacna Maxima and/or Crocea would do well... that the only thing I'm sure to stock so far.

rob1116

Oh, I had the fans and grills laying around in my spare computer parts... just spliced a 12v adapter on there. Very powerful 120mm fans. The chrome grills are the standard in the computer industry... couple of bucks. I'll just have to watch them for rust... the only thing that isn't stainless.

rob1116

Leona: A multi-meter comes in handy here. You can use any adapter with the appropriate voltage, but it has to be able to supple enough milliAmps to run the fan(s). The total sum of the milliAmps required for the fan(s) shouldn't exceed 80% of the milliAmps supplied by the AC Adapter.
Ex. Your AC Adapter supplies 600mA. You have two fans, each drawing 200mA... or 400mA total. This is under 70% of the supply amperage, and therefore safe.
The reason a multi-meter comes in handy is that most DC fans aren't labelled with the mA rating, and will need to be measured. If you really don't want to bother, (although I suggest you do) try and find an AC Adapter with >1A, or 1000mA. I'm quite certain that any two computers fans could run with a good margin of safety on 1A.
BTW - As the local electrician contractor's bumper sticker reads, "Wiring is a profession, not a hobby..." and I'm no professional. If anyone sees an error in the above advice, feel free to call me out!

flatzboy

Yeah sounds good I just got the metal halides in today for my 46g. bow front. I got 2x175 watt metal halides and I'm gonna add a couple of vhos or power compacts. I'm builing my canopy this week I already got the wood and stuff, my dad has just been a little busy lately.
Later,
Rhett

rob1116

Oh, for the record, I used:
Oak Plywood (looks great stained, easy to work)
Flecto Gel Stain (way better than regular stain!)
Behr Super Spar clear satin Marine/Home varnish (for the inside) great stuff
Behr Ultra-White ********/Exterior High Gloss Enamel
Stainless steel screws/brackets/etc.
Reflective aluminum sheet (Can.Tire, auto repair section) for MH reflector.

P

plasticine

Can you post an image with the doors open. I would really like to see how you mounted the lights into the canopy. I am working on one myself and am cramped for space and was looking to get ideas.

discgolfer

very nice did you build the stand as well. I am in the process of building my first ever fish tank stand for my 55 gallon. I am putting doors and shelves inside for chemicals,food etc. and also halogen lights that you can turn on to see in the darkness. Here is a pic of the frame of my stand just trying to decide on the paneling to cover up this skeleton:)

jeffro8332

not to hijack your thread rob but FYI discgolfer pine makes a good outside paneling and it is realtively cheap and accepts most stains.
ROB that is a great canopy nice craftsmanship.
J

discgolfer

thanks for the advice on pine. and I want to thank my buddy dave for helping me with this project. I know somewhere he is reading this thread as he is on this message board alot.