My Diy EuroReef

aarone

Well i havent totally completed it im waiting for my Pump in the mail....
I found these plans online and am very pleased with the design and work power of this DIY project.
The total cost me around 50 bucks including the pump.
BTW it is not complete yet....I still have to add a hole in the main chamber for the air and water mix to enter as well as a hole and PVC for the water exit.
First picture is the collection cup

aarone

Whole thing minus the pump and exit area...use your imagination.
This is a venturi style skimer it works very well from what i have seen online.

aarone

should be soon
Im also modding the impeller...im gonna take a bioball and glue a few pins on it to chop up the bubbles better to make it more like the euroreef with a needle wheel impeller

fishman830

Hey! that's what i'm fixing to do.. except i guess it's not gonna be clear any. 5" PVC w/ base.. reducer.. then into a smaller PVC size.. etc. then onto a union and then there have a collection cup

D

dandt40

that looks nice! ive saeen a few diy skimmers, but they have not been that nice. very cool.

golfish

It looks like a real nice build. You know its half the size of the smallest ER skimmer made. I'm not knocking it at all. I think you did a nice job. There are a LOT of things missing but it still look's good.
Going by the size, 30 gals would just about top it out.

aarone

its about 2.5 feet tall and about 6 inches in diameter at the base....so i guess the euro reef that is 20" high and 5" in diameter is bigger than mine....:rolleyes:
im gonna say its the same size as the cs6-3 which is rated at 135

golfish

Originally posted by aarone
its about 2.5 feet tall and about 6 inches in diameter at the base....so i guess the euro reef that is 20" high and 5" in diameter is bigger than mine....:rolleyes:
im gonna say its the same size as the cs6-3 which is rated at 135

I have a CS6-3. Its not how tall that matters, its the size of the reaction chamber. Yours is probably less then 1/6 the size.

golfish

that's a hec of a lot bigger then it looks....but still a HEC of a lot smaller.
Dude, I'm not knocking your build. Its looks good to me but its now where close to the size of any ER I've seen.

aarone

i was looking at the er website i couldnt find any info on the reaction chamber gallon size.
anyone got an idea?

golfish

Originally posted by aarone
i was looking at the er website i couldnt find any info on the reaction chamber gallon size.
anyone got an idea?

what, you don't trust me:D
So those gallon jars are 5" dia? Whats the dia on the couplers, 4"?

aarone

6" diameter the coupling is 4"
I trus t you i just want to know so i have somethig to compare it to.