My Diy EuroReef

I am making that same Skimmer, I have everything but the containers can you tell me where you got them from I can't seem to fing them anywhere, it is amazing how simplistic the plans are? Thanks
aarone, if you can fill me in where you found them that would help greatly my email is Bim09@hotmail.com thanks again

Thanks I will check there again I must of missed them or something but I really want to finish and get it up and running soon thanks again

golfish

Now that's some good looking skimmate. It just doesn't look that big in the first few pictures but now that I see it in the sump it looks bigger.
Including the pump, what's the total cost?

drkdweller

i used a 802 powerhead i had laying around so the pipe and stuff was 17 the jugs are 2.00 and 5.00 the couplings were like 3.00 each and theres 3 of them the rest of it cost cents like hose barbs and a tee

golfish

So about 80.00? that's a good diy skimer for a smaller tank. I like the look of the skimmate.....
Just one thing missing.....the Needle Wheel:D

drkdweller

do you got any spare pumps or powerheads laying around the 802 olny pushes 380 gph. you can get a good rio for around 40. thats still cheaper than a seaclone and pulls way more. you want the link to the thread for the design give me your email.

bencc

aarone, could you send me the link to this also. I have a diy cc protein skimmer now that is ok but this one looks like it could work better and I'm in the process of building a plywood acrylic 180 gal aggresive tank that I will need a protein skimmer for.
Thanks
bencc@cox.net

drkdweller

heres the original post/plans(i made alterations to mine)
Went to Wal-Mart and bought two clear rubbermaid food containers. A 1gal and a 2qt. By luck the diameter of the mouths is the same as a 4" pvc . The tops are threaded and will screw snuggly into the 4" pvc female adapter. I bought 2 female adapters and a 4" to 2" adapter. To put it together I screwed the one female to the 1gal container the other to the 2qt container. To join them I fitted the 4" to 2" onto the 4" female on the 1 gal, and siliconed the 4" female from the 2qt to it. A piece of 2" pvc is slip fitted into the 2" part of the adapter for a riser tube.
For the input I used a 1/2" male threaded adapter on the inside of the container I made the hole just slightly smaller so that I could screw the piece snug. I used a female threaded on the outside to make a sort of bulkhead. I did the same for the outlet but used 3/4" pvc instead. They are not watertight but pretty close if I had bothered with a gasket or silicon it would be, but since it is intended to be in sump I didn't care.
For pump I'm using a mag 5 that I had. I made the "venturi" for the intake out of a 1/2" pvc tee, with a female threaded top t. I screwed in a male threaded hose barb for the air supply. To get the "venturi" effect I boiled the tee till soft and smushed the middle right under the air supply. This fitted onto the input of the mag 5.

nemo lover

Very nice and all the pics are a very explainatory. I have kind of been on a DIY binge. I haven't had time to pic up the supplies for this yet, but I called my lfs and they ordered my pump for it. I will have that Thursday. My card reader for my camera is broken when I get a new one i'll post some pics.