My DIY Maxi-Jet Stream Mod

lutz493

This has been a popular DIY design to make your MJ 1200s run in a similar matter to the Tunze pumps. I have been making these mods for myself and some local guys and thought I would share my results. The mods put out a wider flow pattern at about 4x the flow rate of a standard MJ1200.
The old impellor is removed and replaced with this one. It was orginally two boat prop impellors form a local hobby store that I had molded into 1 piece. It fits on the magnet in the same twist/lock format as the standard impellor.

I had used a CnC to cut the guards and make the bracket. The bracket allows you to swivel the powerhead so it points in the right direction. The powerhead is then tightened by a nylon screw on the bottom.

Was pretty excited about how this turned out and wanted to share with you guys.
- Matt

lutz493

The ones above are $20.00
If you make them out of PvC and buy the pieces and do it yourself with a Dremel its around $17.00.
Max-jet 1200s are around $20.00
So for $37-40.00 your getting around 1200-1300 gph on 20 watts.
SEIOs are like $63.00 to give you 1100 gph on 21 watts.
Tunze 6060 is $137.00 to give you 1600 gph on 11 watts.
This mod pretty much gives you a reliable powerhead (Maxi-jet) with a performance 1 step down from Tunze but it costs you 3x less.

lutz493

I own a CnC business and also do industrial prototyping.
I used the factory impellor base so I had the right size fitting, used the impellors,
added some material sanded everything smooth and then molded it as 1 solid piece.

jdboy

Do you have any thoughts on saleing these upgrade kits to interested members? I'm sure you'll have customers.

lutz493

I still have some material left from the ones I had made for myself and some other reefers. If you would like to get your hands on some mods, simply toss me an email and I will be back intouch with you.
Thanks
- Matt
Lutz493@zoominternet.net

aw2

I'd be interested in 4 of them...email sent.
My hotmail has been a little cooky, lately.
If you dont get my mail, would you mail me at garnera80@hotmail.com ?
I'm intested in more pics, if you have them and prices and shipping to 62948.
Thanks!

mavgi

for everyone that want to do tihs here is the link if it's help :
*Link Removed*
there is also encluding 2 60sec movie files
good luck

lutz493

I actually remade the guard so that there is slots all the way around. This helped to reduce the siphoning a ton - I'll post a pic of that when I have the time this weekend.

lutz493

Hello -
Sorry, had to get the pics working again.
Here is an updated picture of the impellor to go along with the pictures posted above.

- Matt

misfit

Hey Lutz493
Im not to sure but what type of alum are you using i think the saltwater might be corrode it and release toxins into the water.I think mscdirectdotcom might have some 316 stainless steel.that would be the choice i would use.But like i said im not to sure on the alum but being a machinest i have a book at work that should tell.If i find out Ill let you know.

lutz493

Hello -
I use 316 stainless for the shaft already to prevent any type of corroding. Alot of people have these kits now and it so far everything is going well.
I actually upgraded the impellors on these so they the performance was a little better.

Alot of people have had questions as far as the mod goes, simply email me at Lutz493@zoominternet.net if you have any.
- Matt