My DIY plywood tank journal

chunkysoup

Well early last week i embarked on a major Do-It-Yourself project. After doing tons of research on the subject I decided that I wanted to build a custom fish tank/stand/canopy. Since I am a college student money is always a major concern. I haven't really planned a budget for the project, but I plan on just spending money whenever i have any extra (which could be never). As i make major strides throughout this project i will be sure to document it, take pictures if possible, and post it in this forum. One of the main reasons I am doing this is so that future Do-It-Yourselfer's don't run into the same problems I run into along the way (trust me there will be plenty). But another is so that I can hopefully get feedback from the SWF veterans and possibly get some helpful criticism. With that being said...
Welcome to my journal.

chunkysoup

Before posting anything from my project I would like to acknowledge two different websites that helped me when gathering infor for this project. They are:
http://www.dudeiknow.com
After clicking the link, go to aquarium project.
And
www.garf.com
Once at the site, click on the DIY section on the left hand side of the page.
Well after gathering info from both sites, I just kind of combined them and took what i thought was the best points from each one. So with that, i decided the best way to approach this project was to build the stand first so i would have something to build the actual tank on.
The following pictures were taken after i constructed the tank and stand, and for that I apologize. I haven't had access to a digital camera until today. So even though the following pictures will show the tank as well as the stand, my discussion will focus on the stand for now.
This pic is a front view of the stand. It's an exact model from the dudeiknow.com website mainly consisting of 2x4's. All of the board's have been glued together using liquid nails and then reinforced with 2 1/2 deck screws. The glue is absolutely necessary in the stand. It will give the boards a significant amount of additional strength which is necessary for holding hundreds of gallons of water. I didn't know how strong the glue was until i had to take 2 of the boards apart after glueing them and it split the boards two.

chunkysoup

Well if I wasn't retarted I would have posted the dimensions on what my goal tank size is going to be. They are 72" long x 24" wide x 30" deep. A tank this size would hold 220 gallons of water. My stand size is going to be 72" long x 30" deep as well. But I made it about 27" wide to give myself a little extra room to position the tank how i wanted it.
Here is a sideshot of the stand...

chunkysoup

A view of the back side of the stand.
Initially i boxed the top, back and bottom of the stand in with 3/4" plyform that i had leftover from building the tank. This should help make the stand really strong since it will be holding almost a ton of water.

chunkysoup

This is a picture of what it looked like this morning 12/30. Today our goal was to box in the side and the front of the stand and figure out how we were going to position the doors on the stand to I could have access to the sump. If you notice that I keep saying "we" I am refering to my grandpa who you can barely see working in the side of this pic. I owe a lot of thanks to him for helping we with this project. It is definately a 2 person job.

chunkysoup

We went to lowes this morning and purchased some 1/4" ******** grade plywood. You can see it laying out for measuring in the previous pic. After cutting the plywood to size for the front and sides of the stand we simply nailed blued and nailed them up with some finishing nails. You can see the cuts we made for the 2 front doors of the stand. We left about an inch at the top and bottom of the doors to hold them in place so we can put the hinges on easier.

chunkysoup

While boxing the stand in it occured to us that we still have to have access to underneath the stand to hook the sump up. We decided to make one of the sides on the stand removable. So i could pull out the sump (which is going to be my old 55 gallon) if i need to. We just piloted all the holes and put about 9 screws into this end.

chunkysoup

Now for the tank...
IMO there are three major steps to building the tank. I am still on the first one.
1. Assemble the tank
The plans at dudeiknow.com call for 3/4" exterior grade plywood. I went with 3/4" plyform which is what is used in setting up concrete walls. The plys seemes a lot tighter in the plyform that the exterior grade plywood. You could go a step higher and get marine 3/4" plywood which is almost $70 a sheet at my local lowe's. I think the exterior would work fine, just more of a personal choice. 3 sheets of plyform cost me about $150.00. And like i said earlier, i used the leftover to help box in my stand and make it more heavy duty. You will also need a good waterproof wood glue and a box of 2" drywall screws. The assembly is pretty obvious if you follow the plans on garf. They have step by step illustrations to guide you so i will save myself the time.
2. Paint the tank.
This is a very very very important step. This is what will make your plywood tank waterproof. You will need to find a NSF-61 rated epoxy paint approved for potable water storage. IT is very important that this paint is marine safe. Otherwise you will just kill of of the tank's inhabitant's. They make tons of different epoxies. Some for concrete, some for wood, etc. Be sure you get the right one. After searching this website for a cheap supplier of this paint i finally found an answer.
www.aquaticeco.com
This place has a wide selection of colors and they are all $48 for a 1 gallon kit. I think the shipping is an additional $20 for a HAZMAT fee but well worth it IMO.
3. Install the glass
This is the most expensive part of the project. My roommate is good friends with the owner of a local glass store so i kind of lucked out. Originally my lowest qoute for a 1/2" x 72" x 29" piece of glass was $230. He got it for me for $99.
I am not going into great detail at this with steps 2 and 3. But will as time goes on and i approach each step.

chunkysoup

Tommorow I hope to finish the canopy for the tank. I ordered the epoxy last night so maybe I will recieve it early next week. For now, I am going to concentrate on finishing the canopy and possibly begining to paint the exterior of the tank, stand and canopy. Right now my plans are to paint the whole thing black and have either white or chrome hinges and knobs for the stand and canopy.
I also still have to figure out how I'm going to plumb the whole thing. I already have a CPR-150 overflow that I would like to use. But having two durso standpipes inside the tank would be cool too. I dunno, we'll see what happens tommorow.
I welcome questions/comments...

tru conch

looking good so far. i cant wait to see how it turns out
just wondering, would it be possible to plump your tank through the back wall of the tank with bulkhead fittings?
the overflow box can be a pain in the neck, esp if you loose the siphon.

flatzboy

Really nice job, I am eager to see how it turns out! Also what are your plans for the tank reef, fowlr, agressive? Also do you plan on diying all the filtration. You could make a nice wet/dry system if you are going to make it a agressive or a refugium if its gonna be a reef and you could make a nice skimmer, I mention that because it looks as though you are pretty handy.:D

chunkysoup

I know what you mean about the external overflow breaking siphon... Probably the most logical thing to do would be to plumb the tank with bulkheads in the back wall like you said. I'm entertaining the thought of installing two durso standpipes in the corners of the tank. Also i will need some bulkeheads in the bottom or close to the bottom of the back wall so i cal drain water out of the tank. After painting the tank will epoxy i will have to to a couple test fills to make sure everything holds up.
Right now on my 55 gallon i have a cheapo skimmer. I don't even know the brand of it. I got it off ---- for like 60 bucks. I will definately have to upgrade to a bigger skimmer. During the downtime of this project in between paints coats, I'm going to research the feasibility of building a DIY skimmer. I got a couple ideas running in my head but still not sure. I've found one DIY skimmer project that involves a 5 gallon office drinking water jug!
Also, i don't know if i have mentioned this or not but I plan on turning my 55 gallon tank that i have right now into a sump/refuge. Half of it being the sump, the other being the refuge. More about that later...
My goal is to have a FOWLR with this tank to begin with, but make sure all the fish i put in it are reef safe so i have the option to gradual build a reef.

chunkysoup

some pics from this morning's work...
Here is the begining of the canopy. We cut the pieces out of 3/4" lumbar and made the 6 feet long and 1 foot high for the front and back pieces and cut the endpieces 22 1/2" long so that they would equal 2 feet after the 2 3/4" pieces fit over top of them. This way the 6' x 2' canpoy will fit flush over the 6' x 2' tank.
Notice the furniture clamps on each end of the box. We did this to help keep the box as square as possible.

chunkysoup

Please don't mind the spelling in the post. I have my moments.
An excellent example is my spelling of "retarted."
Anyways, here is what the canopy looks like sitting on the tank without a top.

chunkysoup

Notice in the above and below pic that we had to tac on a piece of scrap plywood to the ends of the tank. We put one on the end where the arrow is pointing then pushed the tank as square as we could, then screwed another piece of scrap to the other end of the tank similar to this one to hold the canopy in this position while the glue dries. We will eventually take these peices off and have to fill this holes in the tank will some sort of body filler.
Side view of the canopy...

flatzboy

Also since it will eventually be a reef I would drill some whole and install some bulkheads for a closed loop.:D