My DIY stand/canopy/sump-refuge

fc307

Originally Posted by topofsteel
Great Job!
I have a similar design for stands I have made and have recently questioned it. Having a continuous 'band' around the bottom seemed a great way to make a sturdy stand.

You may want to put support between the top and bottom band. That looks like a 48 inch tank....wouldn't be a bad idea to put a middle support. Mine is only 36 inches and I thought about it but once it was built I didn't think it needed it.

fc307

Originally Posted by Bojik
looking good. How many pounds of Lr is that?

It's about 70-75lbs.

topofsteel

The old one is a 48" 55 gallon, the new one is a 60" 125. I did think about a center support, and I will probably but one in back, but I need the front open to eventually use the 55 as a sump/fuge. I had the 2x6 analyzed (I work for a structural engineer) he said one 5' 2x6 could support a 2000 lb point load. I have 2 and less than 1/3 of that weight is centered on the frame. But I could put an L angle up inside against the front 2x6 just in case.
How did you build your canopy? I'm thinking about a 1x1 frame with 1/4" plywood skin to keep it light. Thanks again.

earlybird

fc37-
I really like your stand and I've been toying with the idea of building one myself. After seeing yours I think I'm going to do it. What size tank and sump/fuge?

fc307

It's an oceanic show 58 gallon and I used an old 30 gallon tank for the sump.
Let me know how things go.