My DIY Stand is finally done...

foxthorn

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my DIY stand that I just completed. It's for a AGA 90gal RR.
This first pic shows the frame. I used a 2X6 for the front horizontal support so I could do without a middle vertical. This allows for easy access to the sump. I also left room in the back corner for the AGA overflow holes.

foxthorn

Here is the finished stand...
Was painted with a semi-gloss oil based paint.
Total cost to make this was $168 --- but I spent way too much on some high priced (over priced) primer, paint and brushes - $57!

N

nanoambiance

Fox. The stand looks great! How long did it take this project to complete? I would really like to make a stand and make one TALLER than the standard 28 inches AGA have, since I am 6'4. Did you use nails or wood screws. What kind of wood was that, just regular pine/oak 2xwhatevers?
Thanks for posting the pics of the stand, because it helps me coming up with the best design. If you have any other closeups of the project, anything really, please post those too when you have a chance or email goldstripemaroon@hotmail.com
Once again, WONDERFUL job. Are you going to build a canopy as well? :)

foxthorn

Thanks for the comments!
NanoAmbiance, Here's what I did:
- Used regular 2X4's for the frame.
- Glued each joint and used rust proof 3-inch deck screws (Deck Mate brand from HD).
- Installed the flooring from 1/2 inch regular plywood.
- Installed the top from 1/2 inch regular plywood.
- Used caulk to seal all joints between 2x4's as well as where the plywood flooring meets up to the stand.
- Primed the entire frame with Kilz brand primer.
- Used 1X6 pine boards as well as 1/2inch standard plywood for part of the sides.
- Added some moulding.
- I attached the shell to the 2x4's by using a nail gun with 2inch brads (lots of them).
- I then primed all the shell with a dark tinted primer (2 coats) and then painted over that with a high quality semi-gloss oil-based paint (2 coats).
- I made the doors out of one sheet of 24X48 pine board from HD. Cut it down to size and routered the ends.
Everything except for the exterior paint job was from HomeDepot.
It took 15 days from buying the first 2X4 till the final coat of paint dried -- but I didn't work on it everyday.
By far the hardest thing to do was make sure the stand was level and plum while building the frame. I quickly discovered that my garage floor was not level so I moved the building to the saw horses which I first leveled with shims. If you don't keep all your corners square, you will not be happy with how the outer skin will fit and square up when it's added.
Here's a picture of me using pipe clamps trying to force it to square up while I add some more screws to it....

foxthorn

... and the distance from floor to plywood top is 33.5 inches. Really seems like a good viewing height to me. I also wanted the extra room under the tank for all the sump stuff.