My DIY sump is falling apart!

doahh

YOUR giving bad info... I have G# silicone II right now and it has no additives or bioseal or other junk... I use the window and door

sign guy

Originally Posted by rolloffhill
You are giving bad info if you don't know for sure. GE Silicone I Window and door is what you want. It is 100% silicone with no additives. All of the GE silicone II that I have seen has mildew additives in them.
Lots of reading on this subject here..
Many people that have had tanks for years have said that bio seal is harmful to tanks. thats enough for me Im not giving bad info that has been said from some of the great mods and members of the board. While I dont need ALL the info on a subjubject to pass it on to other members that dose not meen I give bad info. I dont have all the info on great whites in a 20 Long but enough to frown on it

rolloffhill

Originally Posted by Doahh
YOUR giving bad info... I have G# silicone II right now and it has no additives or bioseal or other junk... I use the window and door
You mean You're right?
Like I said in my post, all of the GE silicone II that I have physically seen, held in my hands, and bioseal or "other junk" in them. If you have a link to some GE II that doesn't have it, post it up, I would love to see it.

rolloffhill

Originally Posted by sign guy
Many people that have had tanks for years have said that bio seal is harmful to tanks. thats enough for me Im not giving bad info that has been said from some of the great mods and members of the board. While I dont need ALL the info on a subjubject to pass it on to other members that dose not meen I give bad info. I dont have all the info on great whites in a 20 Long but enough to frown on it

So I don't quite understand your post, if bioseal is bad, then why would you use GE II, like I said in above post, I have not physically found any GE II without mildewcides or bioseal.

sign guy

havent seen any on the web but I have used it many times in my work. Im not debating if its avalible Im saying from all of the experianced hobbiest I have talked to said bio seal is not reef safe. nuff for me. not trying to make your first post here on the boards hostile but do want to error on the safe side when giving advice. welcome to saltwaterfish.com

jerthunter

The decision has already been made, I will buy aquarium silicone to advoid any possibility of a problem.
With that said I am interested and open to hearing WHAT bioseal is and if it is actually bad, and if so why. This would be merely for curiousity since I like to learn.

rolloffhill

Just so ya'll don't think I am trying to piss people off, I am just going by the info that I have researched.
This is strait from GE's website.
How does GE Silicone II Window and Door with BioSeal
save you money and hassle of repairing water damage? By combining silicone’s low shrinkage, maximum UV resistance and perma-flex properties with better adhesion, lower odor, and greater surface compatibility. Silicone II Window and Door is the gold standard in the sealant category.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by rolloffhill
Just so ya'll don't think I am trying to piss people off, I am just going by the info that I have researched.
This is strait from GE's website.
How does GE Silicone II Window and Door with BioSeal
save you money and hassle of repairing water damage? By combining silicone’s low shrinkage, maximum UV resistance and perma-flex properties with better adhesion, lower odor, and greater surface compatibility. Silicone II Window and Door is the gold standard in the sealant category.
I have been to their website and read that, but that does not tell me anything about the product. From my websearch I have found that GE silicone II did not always have what they call bioseal, atleast it wasn't on the label. I have also found claims that bioseal is nothing new and it is merely marketing term. If this is true the people who used GE silicone II that did not include the bioseal label were using the same stuff that now is all labeled with bioseal. Of course I have not found any evidence reliable enough to convince me to risk using it with my tank.
On another note, I went looking at walmart for aquarium silicone, they did not have it at my local walmart so I will probably have to try somewhere else. However I did look at the GE silicone I which does not have any claims about mold resistence. I read the fine print on the tube and it says not for use with aquariums. Silicone II also states not for use with aquariums. I would guess that is due to the fact that they 1. haven't tested the products for use with aquariums, 2. the company does not want to deal with the liability in the case it leaks, or 3. they can make more money by selling a seperate type specifically for aquariums.
Just a thought about the bioseal in silicone II. It is too prevent mold growth but it is only designed to prevent mold growth on the silicone itself. If the mold resistence is supposed to last for the lifetime of the silicone the resistence would seem to have to be a property of the silicone itself and not a chemical that slowly gets released.

rolloffhill

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
I have been to their website and read that, but that does not tell me anything about the product. From my websearch I have found that GE silicone II did not always have what they call bioseal, atleast it wasn't on the label. I have also found claims that bioseal is nothing new and it is merely marketing term. If this is true the people who used GE silicone II that did not include the bioseal label were using the same stuff that now is all labeled with bioseal. Of course I have not found any evidence reliable enough to convince me to risk using it with my tank.
On another note, I went looking at walmart for aquarium silicone, they did not have it at my local walmart so I will probably have to try somewhere else. However I did look at the GE silicone I which does not have any claims about mold resistence. I read the fine print on the tube and it says not for use with aquariums. Silicone II also states not for use with aquariums. I would guess that is due to the fact that they 1. haven't tested the products for use with aquariums, 2. the company does not want to deal with the liability in the case it leaks
, or 3. they can make more money by selling a seperate type specifically for aquariums.
Just a thought about the bioseal in silicone II. It is too prevent mold growth but it is only designed to prevent mold growth on the silicone itself. If the mold resistence is supposed to last for the lifetime of the silicone the resistence would seem to have to be a property of the silicone itself and not a chemical that slowly gets released.

You are correct, it is number 2. I had a link to alot of good info, but apparently this site doesn't like to link to other forums.
Oh well.

symon

I have the stuff here , made by Perfecto manufacturing , aquarium sealant, do a google! What i don't understand is , Why would you take a chance with anything that contains a bioseal, that means there has been some kind of chemical added to retard the growth of mold and mildew , take the time find a LFS that can or will order the right stuff for you! Good Luck fixing that thing!

rolloffhill

Originally Posted by sign guy
havent seen any on the web but I have used it many times in my work. Im not debating if its avalible Im saying from all of the experianced hobbiest I have talked to said bio seal is not reef safe. nuff for me. not trying to make your first post here on the boards hostile but do want to error on the safe side when giving advice. welcome to saltwaterfish.com

Gee thanks for the advice.....but I would say the same to you about your advice..

I was in Lowe's again today, and for any average joe to walk into HD or Lowe's they are gonna find that all of the GE silicone II will have bioseal in it, and since it is not reef safe then I personally wouldn't recommend it. I guess since you used it in your work you must be buying it somewhere other than a LHS?
Either way thanks for the warm welcome.....

bsmith219

i used silicone from an auto parts store its pro seal brand clear rtv silicone adhesive and sealant comes in a little tube and nozzle so it made sealing the baffles easier. i havent had any problems.

cgrant

I have always used the all-glass brand aquarium silicon, if you cant find any local you could always call all-glass and let them know noone in your area carries it and they will sell it to you.
Sounds like you got some already...Good Luck!