MY Drarf Lion jumped out of the tank!

coreystang

My favorite fish jumped out the tank over night and died. Has this ever happened to anyone else. I can't believe it

lion_crazz

I leave my lid open all the time to aerate my tank, and have never experienced this with my volitan ( and he is always at the top of the tank too!). I think I will stop doing that however. Thanks for the info and I am sorry to hear about your loss.

liontamer

If they dont like their surroundings, they may try sumthing as jurastic as jumping, i sure would. If theyre happy, or lazy (or combination) then they wont... Sorry though, my dwarf is my second favorite, shes so purdy.

coreystang

He has been in the tank for almost a year. He is spoiled rotten. He knew when it was feeding time. Very smart fish.

lionfish12

Try to cover it up with platic like it did. Buy strips from low's or a hard ware store and cut a section to fit the gap.

fishy411

How big was this thing? I didnt think that they could fit through a 2 inch opening from looking at the pics. What kind of lid did u have on it?

lionfish12

Every tank sould be FULLY covered. Many people have posted that their fish have jumped out. I learned the hard way and want to make sure other people do it the right way and dont loose a healty fish.

yellowtail

i woudnt use a glass top or plastic lid because it will suffocate 02-CO2 gas exchanges through air and water.i would get some eggcrate, cut it to size, and weigh it down somehow.

gasguzzler

Whenever I set up a tank I go to the local HD and get a sheet of 1/4" lexan. Its easy to cut, clean and doesnt bow. If youre careful, you can cut a perfect lid every time.

liontamer

Originally posted by lionfish12
Every tank sould be FULLY covered. Many people have posted that their fish have jumped out. I learned the hard way and want to make sure other people do it the right way and dont loose a healty fish.

U learn EVERYTHING the hard way, dont u? Is there anything that u havent skrewed up in this hobby?