My Eel jumped out of my tank!!!!!!!

tome

:help: :help: :help: :help: I was at my friends house, and recieved a phone call saying my brother found my eel a foot from the tank, under a desk. He was sheding somthing, but i turned the lights off in the tank. He was really dry when we found him, so i guess he was there for a while. So please let me know if there is anything else i can do. Thanks.

f1shman

So hes back in the tank? I've heard of peoples that were on the ground for 3 hours that survived. They have like a tough outer covering and I think thats what it is "shedding" off because when he was out of the water it hardened. He should be okay.

tome

Thanks. I think he was out for more than three hours, but i pray he is ok. I hear Green Morays are tough though.

d0ch0liday

hey tome whats going on i writing this to help comfort you.... i hope it helps. First things first your eel should be fine..... i have seen snokflake eels (which are not half as hardy as a Green moray in my opinion) stay out of a tank for more than 10 hours and live through it countless times. Second the coat that he look like he was shedding, that is the eel natural slime coat. it was being depleted from being out of the tank. So if you picked him up and he was hard and crusty (im assuming) its ok long as you get him back in the tank, because in most cases the eel is not dead it just need to reestablish its slime coat. Dont get me wrong its not ok for him to be squirmin on the floor but dont panic : ). Ok i have a couple questions for you to see if we can figure out why he jumped. what size tank do you have ? ( the reason i ask is see if the eel is comfortable) Do you have good filtration and skimming? (again to see if the eel is comfortable) how is water quality? (this sometimes can make eels irratated and they jump thinking it will help)
do you have plenty of cover for the eel to hide himself? (they are very shy and if they feel exposed they will again jump). I have a Tessalata (Gymnothorax favagineus) (very similar to the green moray [Gymnothorax funebris]) and a zebra who live together without a cover the top and live quite content that way. Some eels need to have a cover so i hope your think about plexy glass h*
hope i helped even know you probably know over half of what im tellin you if not all h*
Another good source on eel care and info is wetwebmedia.com

tome

Thanks for the comfort everyone. Doc, my eel is in a 80g now, but being moved into a relatives 200g tank. My filtration is a 20g sump with a home-made filter, plus i just got a protein skimmer, which is going to be put on soon. My water is 1.025 salt, nitrates-0. I tested not to long ago, and remembered those 2 numbers, but i do remember the results, were with what the test kit said it should be. (if you need the rest of the numbers i can get them.) I have a canopy on my tank, so im really lost on how he could get out, because it is always closed, except for feeding. Hope this helps. Thanks everyone.

S

shark bait

Tape it down, also the baby latches work, eels can get through a small crack, kinda like octopus.

tome

Shiby I am not really sure, because i got this tank from a relative, who had made the wet/dry. Sorry i could not be of much help.

tome

thx i do too, im just tryin to get him to eat. But i think :thinking: he will live off a giant hawk, argus grouper, and sailfin tang for a long time

chrisarc

Before I started my reef I had an agressive tank for 2 years with triggers and a snowflake. Woke up on morning and he was just lying on my living room floor about 2 feet from the tank. he was covered in a white slime.I just picked him up and put him back in the tank. He wouldnd eat for a couple of days but he ended up just fine. I was really upset to see him go.

jr8budcar

man, my sfe has been getting up in the corners of my tank and looking around. well a couple of weeks ago he slid to far. On the floor he went , try keeping two dogs and a curious simease cat back while i tried to get him and screaming for my fiance who was on the porch grilling. I hope your eel is o.k.! Mine went in his rocks and didnt come out or move for two days.

tome

I want to thank everyone for there help. He is eating again and going back to his home in the overflow. Thanks everyone!