My Emerald Crabs are being eaten! Who is the gulity one?

sea keeper

Can you tell me which fish in my tank is making a meal of my crabs? My tank is over a year old and my water has been tested and is fine. Here is what i have for fish,,
Red Hawk Fish
Engineer Goby
Snow Flake Eel
2 Percoal Clowns.
Blue Damsel
6 line Wrasse
Thanks for your help!
Barb

lenny23

I am new but my money is on the eel. I believe they eat any crustacean they can fit in their mouth.

sea keeper

Then im going to have to get rid of my eel then. Im growing lots of algae now because i cant keep any crabs alive to eat it all...
Thanks for your hep.. I can always count on this board!
Barb

wellsfry

***) I had the same eel, and also started having same result (missing, half eaten crabs!) I started target feeding the eel, and it stopped for the most part, now he "snacks" only about once a month.

royal gang

after much resaearch and very close observation and study our group has come to conclude/suspect that the "Thanks for your help!" is the guilty one

monalisa

I also would like to enter a vote for the eel. However, I can't keep an emerald crab alive in my tank past 1 molt. I've been blaming my CB shrimp all this time...the crabs molt and become soft, try to hide, the shrimp finds them...voila...gone
. I don't put emeralds into my tank anymore even though my shrimp does get spot fed on a regular basis!!
Lisa :happyfish

durgeonman

i would say the eel as well. but also the hawk fish ould be a suspect as well. it can be eatting the crabs if it can fit them in its mouth. it depends on its size and theirs however...

monalisa

Originally Posted by durgeonman
i would say the eel as well. but also the hawk fish ould be a suspect as well. it can be eatting the crabs if it can fit them in its mouth. it depends on its size and theirs however...
durgeonman...I have a VERY weird question to ask you. I hope you see this to respond.
WHAT is the fish you have pictured in your avatar??? I got one that was sold to me as a red blenny...I found out immediately that that's NOT what he is. I've been thinking all along since then that he's a diamond goby. It doesn't really matter what he is...he's a great addition to my little eco system. Just interested in finding out for sure what he is.
Thanks for your help...

fishstix4u

red sand perch or red grub fish.. both names are exceptable and i got one a few months ago under the impresion it was a red scooter blenny.. learned when i put my glasses on he wasnt... he now lives alone.. want him?

durgeonman

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
durgeonman...I have a VERY weird question to ask you. I hope you see this to respond.
WHAT is the fish you have pictured in your avatar??? I got one that was sold to me as a red blenny...I found out immediately that that's NOT what he is. I've been thinking all along since then that he's a diamond goby. It doesn't really matter what he is...he's a great addition to my little eco system. Just interested in finding out for sure what he is.
Thanks for your help...
Its a sand perch and you need to be careful with them. There not exactly reef safe. Larger ones will eat shrimp and even small crabs. I found out the hard way when mine got big. I had to give him away. Still one of my favorite fish they have great personality and are really cool. But I have heard if you keep them very well feed and don’t add any inverts after them you should be ok. I haven’t tried it myself however. Good luck with him.