My feather dusters don't open anymore

royce

I have 2 large feather dusters that were always open when I first got them, but now I have only seen them open when the lights are out and even then it's a rare event. I know that they are still alive and they haven't ever dumped their crowns. All of my fish and corals are doing fine, and although my nitrates are on the high side (too many fish), they are lower than when I first added the dusters. One LFS guy thought that they were getting plenty of food (Kent microvert and frozen) and didn't need to open much. Any thoughts? thanks

wrassecal

Here's a thought for you don't know how much help it will be though. Where are they placed? If they are close to a lot of action by either fish, corals or powerheads they may be staying in and opening at night when things quiet down. I had one that hardly ever opened and I moved it and it is open most of the time now except when something swishes by and it darts inside. Moving them to a different spot would be hard if they are attached though.

royce

That's a good point, and I did try to move them but they are both attached and I thought that I shouldn't rip them away. I have heard that the worm might leave the tube and go to a different location if they were unhappy - did I hear wrong?