my fire shrimp is quite personable

roadie996

I picked up a sweet 3lb piece of live rock from my LFS guy. It has very very tiny mushroom coral growing on it along with white sponge. As I was situating the other pieces of rock too make sure it was stable, my fire shrimp decided he wanted to give me a pedicure... I guess! hahaha It was running up and down my arm as I was playing with the rocks and picking at my skin. I guess something was yummy on my finger because it liked it there.

markw

Thats awesome! Ive been meaning to ask this, but how do you know for sure that its okay to put your hands in the tank? Ive always heard its best to have arm-length gloves, but I hear many more stories of people that love to have their shrimps all over their arms as they put them through the tank. Im a little confused here..
Mark

aquaguy24

Chemicals from corals, stuff on live rocks, etc.....these things can irritate or harm u but not everyone. Some ppl have thicker, not so sensetive skin i guess. I always have my hand in my tanks when cleaning or feeding and many other reasons. I've never had a problem.
I've also had my shrimp clean my hand a few times. Quite soothing LOL

roadie996

I make sure to wash my hands before even going near the tank water. I do not use soap tho, do not use soap! I will start off with hot water and rubbing my hands together and then run them under cold water. Then shake them off, and do what I need to do.