My first Aquapod

tne1cancme

Well after 20+ yrs of freshwater (mostly Chiclids) I have jumped off the high dive, musta hit my head, and bought an 24g Aquapod

tne1cancme

] I have tried to read and absorb as much info from this forum as possible. I started the tank Sat. it has 25lbs if LS and 25 lbs of LR. If someone could would you please identify my new tank inhabitants, they were bonus gifts with the live rock.

T

tiberius

Welcome to the boards!!!
I used to find so much stuff on my live rock when I set it up 20 years ago!!! The crabs were the worst and had to set traps for them. I can't make out that first pic. The second one just looks like a snail to me. Is it figi rock? There are terrible worms that come from that rock is why I asked. Check out the tank with a flashlight after the lights are out for a while. You might see a lot more critters coming out.
Nice big rocks!

poop_head

terrible worms? They most likely would be bristle worms which are good, because they help clean up the detritus and what not. The tank looks great though. I've always like the look of these tanks. I have just a regular 10 gallon tank.

tne1cancme

The rock is Fiji, the snail is very active, he moves back and forth across the sand in the front of the tank. The other critter resembles a slug with a fuzzy purple spotted black eyed pea on his back ???. I also noticed quit a few other slug looking critters some black, some brown with this same shallow shell on their backs but all the others are smooth except for the one I took the pic of.
the black and brown ones are so small I couldn't get the camera to focus on them.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Poop_heaD
terrible worms? They most likely would be bristle worms which are good, because they help clean up the detritus and what not. The tank looks great though. I've always like the look of these tanks. I have just a regular 10 gallon tank.
I was trying to find his post here but I went to his site and this is the worm thing I was speaking of:
http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

tne1cancme

Haven't noticed anything other than the few snails and slug like critters. A friend told me the purple slug like thing might be a stomatella, looked it up in the archives and believe he might be right.
I am going to deploy the red lens flashlight method tonight and see if any thing else is there I haven't noticed yet.
Note: the nice pretty Fiji pink sand is starting to get a smattering of brown spots on it, sure hope this is just a cycle thing.

tne1cancme

Couldn't find my red filter for my flashlight,
so I tried the sneak up and blind method. I didn't notice anything that frightened me. saw one worm quickly dart back into the LR, no positive ID, but from reading and trying to learn from these boards and all the help I'm getting from other aquaria friends I think it's a peanut worm(I hope).

tne1cancme

Update, the tank has cycled.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
nitrate-less than 20ppm
temp 78'
ph-8.3
salinity-1.024
I added the cleanup crew this afternoon. I'll post details and maybe some pics later.

tylerfear

don't mean to hijack your thread but i was wondering where you pump shoots out the water you have a piece or two to direct the water, what size is it ( 3/4 or 1/2 in) i want to order one for my tank but couldn't find what size they are thanks. also what pump are you using? i want to put a maxijet 900 in there but not sure if it will fit.
tyler

tne1cancme

Originally Posted by tylerfear
don't mean to hijack your thread but i was wondering where you pump shoots out the water you have a piece or two to direct the water, what size is it ( 3/4 or 1/2 in) i want to order one for my tank but couldn't find what size they are thanks. also what pump are you using? i want to put a maxijet 900 in there but not sure if it will fit.
tyler
I'm using all the stock set up, 290gph pump, the outlet is a dual outlet 1/2" I believe.
The boards have quit a few mod threads if you just search. I'll probably end up upgrading my pump.
The LFS I bought mine from also included a fission nanoskimmer, but I been advised to not run it for a while yet.

tne1cancme

Originally Posted by autofreak44
if you get a chance i would pull out those slugs if you havent already, its better to be safe than sorry

The slugs I have found out are cap snails (stomatella), your the first to warn me to remove.

My water parameters must be to their liking, because today it looks like cheech and chong are visiting, and lots of little floaty things in the water.
PLEASE ADVISE COURSE OF ACTION!!

tne1cancme

Originally Posted by Tarball
Huge worms

I was at the new SWF store here and the guy that runs it was telling me about pulling a three foot long fire worm out of his sons tank, SCARY!