My First Clam>>

aquaguy24

heres a couple pics of my first clam..i've had it about 4 months..doing great i suppose...im not to knowlegable on clams...im not even sure wat kind it is..i think its a maxima..if im wrong, can someone correct me. i've always had it on the sand..i just moved it today from being next to the glass..couldn't really enjoy its beauty at that spot so i moved it next to the rocks..it has grown about an inch..its about 4in right now..

jackri

I have a maxima, derasa, and crocea... I want more as well :)
Just try not to get really small ones as they have a lower survival rate. I got my maxima pretty small... and it really hasn't grown much in 2 years but still alive and happy.
My derasa has grown at least an inch in the last year and my crocea.. hard to tell in his location as he covers his shell completely and he was pretty good size when I got him.
I'm guessing my maxima 2-3"
Crocea 4-5"
Derasa 6-7" or more.
I don't feed them but I do believe my scraping the glass with a magnet does benefit them like adding phyto.

jackri

I had PC lighting when I got my maxima and was kept under them for 4 months.... It lived -- but was developing light pale spots where I believe the algae that lives inside the tissue was dying IMO. It is now under halides and t-5's but you can still tell where the pale spots were although they are continually coloring up a year and a half later. It also has a white pale area from being shaded by my plating coral that grew really fast and the maxima was too well anchored until it jumped.
Would I get a clam again with PC lighting? No -- I don't believe you'll have any long term success with the clam.

aquaguy24

Originally Posted by carlos413
http:///forum/post/3095756
Could I keep one on 240w pc lighting? I am kinda sure I can't but I figure I ask.
How big is ur tank. U might get away with a squamosa near the top, but not sure though cuz they like to be on the sand versus maximas that like to be near the light soucre on top of rocks.
I never fed my clam. It's seems tone doing well on the sand so I'll contnue to do wat I'm doing. I might try a gold maxima and a dorasa next. Just lookn for one with a really nice pattern.

jackri

My crocea is a very pretty purple... but I agree with the patterns on the clams and that probably makes the crocea my least favorite.
Right now I like my gold/teal derasa the best but I'm on the look out for a green/teal or black maxima :D

cedarreef

very beautiful clam!!! just one question... how did you get your iphone pictures to fit within the upload limits?

luamada2008

i got my new first clam and it is about 2 inches... but one side of it is inside the shell the other side is beautifulll.. anyideas what an have caused it?