My first Live Rock... but... what r these?

agent707

OK, most all know I'm new to this, and I just set my tank up. Been about 2 months. Up until now, it's only been some fake coral and LS and a few fish.
We just put a piece of LR in a couple of weeks ago and need to know what some of the stuff on it is.
1) There's some kind of anemone looking thing on the top and side of it. Are these good/bad?
2) it has red hair on it, amoung all the other cool looking stuff. Is this red slime algea?
We got the rock right out of the aqaurium at the LFS, so it was all ready to go into the tank.
Thanks!

dogstar

First little pic on the left is Aiptasia anemone, considered a pest and should try to kill it. The pic on the right looks like Elongated Xenia. A coral. Does the hands on the xenia open and close ?
They both can spread and some people claim the xenia a pest because they spread fast in some tanks.

agent707

I had my suspicions about the top one. The one on the right is rubbery like the anemone and yes, it closes up too. I doubt it will "spread" if it is coral. I only have 92 watts of light 6 hr's /day.
I'll try to get a better pic of the 2nd one. I have junk camera's at the moment.

agent707

What about the Red stuff. Anyone think that is the bad kind of algea?
I'm fixing to order some LR that will need curing before I drop it in the tank... but I want to make sure this piece is cleaned up before I add any more. I don't want anything to spread. If you follow me.
Thanks.

mikeyjer

I would also agree that the first one looks like a aiptasia, but the second one looks like anthelia to me, but it might be xenia like the previous person said. I wouldn't worry about the red stuffs right now since you just got the rocks, let it settle in your tank a bit. :happyfish

agent707

Well, the rock was like this when I got it from the LFS. It came out of one of their established tanks. I'll zap the aiptasia and leave the other alone for now I guess.
I read using a tuekey baster and boiling hot water will do the trick. I shouldn't do this directly in the tank should I?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Agent707
Well, the rock was like this when I got it from the LFS. It came out of one of their established tanks. I'll zap the aiptasia and leave the other alone for now I guess.
I read using a tuekey baster and boiling hot water will do the trick. I shouldn't do this directly in the tank should I?
For me, I used Joe's Juice, that zapped it right out. :happyfish

gtiguy

The red stuff could be cyano an annoying algae that comes from high phosphates or the use of tap water, no skimming etc. It also could be red coraline which is a good thing, depends on whether or not it can be rubbed off or is hard like the rock itself....

hifi

I had aptasia & did some research & found that injecting lemon juice (pure stuff) into the base of the aptasia works you just need a surange & juice. It worked for me I bought some lr & it had some on it now they are gone :joy:

ktsdad

Originally Posted by HiFi
I had aptasia & did some research & found that injecting lemon juice (pure stuff) into the base of the aptasia works you just need a surange & juice. It worked for me I bought some lr & it had some on it now they are gone :joy:
Be careful that you don't use to much lemon juice, it can really swing your PH if you use to much.
I have also heard that using a turkey baster with boiling water does work. Yes you do this in the tank.
I used Joe's Juice, one squirt and it was gone for good.