My first salt water tank

fishfreak1242

This is my first 55 gallon salt water tank. It is still cycling so there is not much in there. I hope I did everything the right way. Right now I have a filter, heater and a protein skimmer. There is about 70 lbs of live rock in there. 45lbs of it is standard Fiji and the rest is Tonga Deepwater live rock. Its not much, but its a start.

mike22cha

Looks good. I'd get a background, either a dark blue or black, but backgrounds do a nice job of covering up all the filter stuff in the back.

azfishgal

Looks like you are off to a great start! I second the blue or black background, makes a huge difference.

Keep us posted on how things progress.

zeke92

i like how your rock is just two clumps, i may have to do that with mine...one badly placed clump on the back of the tank in mine ain't so great, haha.
your off to a good start, as said above

crabsrkewl

Wow that looks exactly like my neighbor's tank who has the same username as you with the same type of liverock as you.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by crabsrkewl
Wow that looks exactly like my neighbor's tank who has the same username as you with the same type of liverock as you.

You know you have the exact same username as my neighbor. Whats his name? Willy? Hilly? Jilly? FARCUS!!! Thats it!!

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by WangoTango
What are your plans, fowlr or reef? Looks like you're off to a great start.
-Justin
At the moment I am planning on a FOWLR tank but I might get some corals or an anenomone later.

brandon7491

i like the rock work. what kinda fish are u thinking of putting in there for your fowlr? might i suggest
1 flame angel
1 long nose hawk fish
2 fire fish
1 six line wrasse
1 watchman goby
wait till ur tank matures atleast 3-5mths before adding any fish especially the angel. go slow and like everyong says u will have years of enjoyment

goingpoor

looking good.....i agree with the background i would go with black ,because when you start getting yout live stock in there there colors really show with a black background.............

fishfreak1242

I just got my first fish! Its a sebae clownfish. I also got a cleaner shrimp but hes hinding in my live rock and i couldnt find him.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
Will a black background show every dirty spot on back glass?
You'll see algae on your back glass regardless of whether you have a blue, black or no background.
-Justin

fishfreak1242

Its ok that walter died. I just bought another Clownfish and a really small damselfish and they seem to be doing alot better than my other fish. Ill try to get some pics of them later. I also added to aquaclear 30 powerheads to aerate my water more and get more circulation

mie

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
Will a black background show every dirty spot on back glass?
Backgrounds make a night and day difference in your tank. It also helps reflect the light into your tank vs letting it shine out the back as well as the front and sides. Black imo looks the best or a dark blue.

hammerhed7

tank looks nice, How long have you been cycling? One thing you will learn is that nothing good ever happens quickly in a marine tank. Unlike freshwater it takes quite a bit of time to establish, so be patient and stock slowly.
Good Luck!

granny

Wait, you are scaring me! At the top of this post, you said you are cycling. Live rock is great for cycling, but then you dont add fish till you are finished with that cycle. When did you add your fish? and what is the "its ok, walter died?" Its NEVER ok if our fish die and especially if we caused that death by putting them into a cycling tank. Then you purchased 2 more fish to put in there??? Am I confused about the progression of this link or what?

mie

Originally Posted by Granny
Wait, you are scaring me! At the top of this post, you said you are cycling. Live rock is great for cycling, but then you dont add fish till you are finished with that cycle. When did you add your fish? and what is the "its ok, walter died?" Its NEVER ok if our fish die and especially if we caused that death by putting them into a cycling tank. Then you purchased 2 more fish to put in there??? Am I confused about the progression of this link or what?
I missed that
she is right your tank if i noticed from your first post till your post on your new fish was 8 days, a tank will not cycle in 8 days. Your ammonia and trites need to be 0. Ammonia is present in a cycling tank and WILL kill your fish. Most certainly a shrimp.