My first "sort of Nano" reef, diary..

mony97

So this first post may be long so bear with me.
Day_1
I am planning on purchasing a 45g cube (it is not formally considered a nano I know) that will be used to house a small variety of fish and hopefully corals. It will be my first attempt at keeping both as I started this hobby with a 65g tank that has been up and running for over a year as a FOWLR tank.
The plan is to tear down the 65 and shortly there after get the 45 up and running. The tank will be a 45g cube that will be placed on a stand of course, the stand will house a 20 or 25g sump/fuge that my LFS has custom made for this stand so fits perfect and provides the maximum space for all my equipment and fuge. The sump will house a cone style protein skimmer (cant remember which one I looked at) a 6 to 8" deep sand bed and either mangroves, cheato, or both? And the return pump. I have heard from a couple places now that a sump is not even really necessary for a tank this size as long as it has a good stock of corals, good flow, and frequent water changes. If I left the sump out I would still plan on keeping the mangroves but plant them in the tank instead? what do you guys think or any advice on this matter?
On to the DT.. I plan on having a 4" or so deep sandbed, somewhere around 30lbs of LR, a light stock list (find below) and a variety of corals mainly zoos and some SPS and LPS here and there depending on how well my beginner corals go. The tank is drilled with a corner flow, which I would like to try the Herbie method of plumbing on (my LFS has this done on one of there tanks and seems to work very well and is quite quiet). I would like to leave the top open or would possibly use egg crate.
Again looking for any advice and or concerns on the DT as well.
Tentative Stocking list:
- Two Ocellaris Clows (already have in my 65)
- Blue Spotted Jawfish
- Three Chromins
- Some sort of Dwarf Angel
- A CUC, and a Cleaner Shrimp
Thanks for looking and look forward to your opinions/ advice
Regards,
Greg