My first tank (warning large download)

hwttdz1

I just thought I'd share some photos of my first tank, they appear quite bluish, despite the tank looking quite white in reality. This is my first go at the saltwater thing. The tank is 30 gallons, has a 300 gph powerhead pointing right at the heater to distribute heat equally throughout the tank and increase efficiency of the heater. It points right at the wall to reduce its effective power somewhat, because I have quite a lot of current. There is also a 150 gph powerhead near the center of the tank, with an attached hydor flo, a little thing that rotates as water is pushed through. Right now the tank is not ready for any life, I'll probably be waiting another 2-4 weeks on that, but I'm quite excited about it none the less.
The first photo is a almost whole tank view.
The second and third photos show a piece of live rock that I am very fond of because of all its interesting features.
The final photo shows some algae growth that I'm getting, I suppose it's to be expected at this point, and even good. This photo is taken from the "back" of the tank. I've kind of set it up to be visible on both long sides and one short size.
Just wanted to share my excitement. Also if I may recommend a resizing utility for photos, faststone image resizer, you can put in 500 pixel width and it will take care of the resizing for you, it can do multiple images at once and is quite fast, also free and small overhead.

hwttdz1

You mean as far as higher life forms?
I realize I'm getting way ahead of myself but have no problems planning for the next few years.
I would like to have a complete reef tank (corals, inverts and fish). Consider this more a list of things I'm considering than things I want to have. I also plan on moving to a larger tank at some point in the future (65 gallons). Thinking of this do people think it would be possible to keep a majority of these species comfortably in 70 gallons (36 x 18 x x). In the next 6 months I would like to try to keep the first 3 maybe 4 in my current tank. Does this seem possible?
1) clarkii or percula clownfish, with anemone host
2) sleeper goby (diamond or banded bullet (is this sometimes also referred to as dragon goby)
3) arrow crab
4) blue reef or black and gold chromis (3x)
5) cleaner shrimp (fire)
6) sixline wrasse
7) flame angelfish
8) royal gramma
9) mandarin dragonet
As far as corals go I plan on starting with some species that are easier to keep, especially mushrooms and star polyps.

petjunkie

Ok, well just keep in mind you will need halides for an anemone, but since your going reef you might as well buy them anyways, diamond gobies tend to starve in captivity, they eat all the stuff you want to stay in your sandbed but there are lots of suitable gobies that will work, just keep in mind any sandsifter will throw sand constantly over corals on the lower part of the tank, so you will be bastering off sand all the time or keeping the bottom bare.
I like arrow crabs, some people have had them eat smaller fish and they will eat hermits and snails like snacks, at least mine did. Flame angels may nip at corals any angel is a risk with them and mandarins need an established tank so that will be a much later addition if you think your tank can support a constant pod diet. Sounds like you have the right idea, you are planning ahead and making lists which is the way to go. Also keep in mind star polyps and mushrooms can become a plague, rock islands might be a good plan.

gypsana

You do not need halides for anenomes IMO. I have a 45 gallon tall with Nova T5 and my LTA anenome and corals are thriving. I agree that you would fair optimum with halides but T5's are great and heat is not an issue like halides. Do a search in these forums for more info on T5's. There are better ones than the Novas with individual reflectors. Good luck by the way. I have had my tank since last Fall and I still am waiting on my Mandarin. I have a 5 gal set up and I am going to harvest pods so it will not starve.

hwttdz1

It is a reef safe wrasse, so it shouldn't pose any problems. I'm much more worried about the arrow crab, and its behavior towards the shrimp, hermits and snails. As for the lighting I already have metal halide/power compact so it should work out.