my first

suzym

Hello, I have owned freshwater tanks since I can remember, but I am going to be setting up my first saltwater tank. Ive got a 40g tall tank and an Eclipse 3 filter/light system. I would like to put live sand in it and start with something simple like clownfish. Any advice to be sucessful in starting up a new tank? Is keeping a saltwater tank similar to a freshwater one? Im familiar with the cycling for new tanks and what not..... thanks for any advice!

hawthorn

my advice would be research everything you want to do and be patient good luck and keep us posted on how you get on

jsgreer1

im pretty new at this so someone might tell you im crazy but from my experience i would definately use live rock as well as live sand...ive heard to use a shrimp to start a cycle and also a skimmer. this is just what ive been told...wouldnt get ANY fish until the cycle was done.

kelly shaw

i have also had fresh water for years. just started cycleing my first salt tank, a 65g. best advice i can give is to research as much as you can. don't be afraid to ask questions on here. there is alot of knowledgeable people that read these posts and shave the knowledge and experiences. they have taught me alot.
by the way, i am already eyeballing my 55g aga freshwater tank to make it into a reef tank. wife doesn't know yet.

alyssia

Originally Posted by jsgreer1
im pretty new at this so someone might tell you im crazy but from my experience i would definately use live rock as well as live sand...ive heard to use a shrimp to start a cycle and also a skimmer. this is just what ive been told...wouldnt get ANY fish until the cycle was done.

and welcome to the boards!