My fish are dying! :(

bjoe23

I have had my 29 gallon up for about 2 months and everything was doing fine. I had 2 small true perc clowns, sixline wrasse, royal gramma, and a bi-colored angel. Everthing was doing fine until about a week ago. One day i found my angel dead. Then later that day my royal gramma. Then like 3 days 1 of my clowns was dead. Im am really sad, and i have to be doing something wrong, i just dont know what. Does anybody no what I could be doing wrong?

drpaul84

post specs and parameters on the tank, including all the equipment water type ect....have you checked for stray voltage? (stick your hand in the tank do you feel a tingle? )

rcoultas

Two months is a very short time to have aquired that much population in a 29g tank. Your water parameters are going to be prime suspect IMO. Were these fish all added at the same time?
Post those water test results

bjoe23

Im doing my tests now, my pH is about 8.3
My fish were not added together, exept clwons, were siblings
My sixline and clown is doing fine now and all my inverts are still alive
All do all my tests and post back, thanks

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bjoe23
nitrites are .05, i think thats good, right?
No, that is not good. It should always be zero. With how high your nitrates are and the fact that you still have nitrites this says that you had a pretty good sized ammonia spike which would kill your fish. Do you test your tank often? You should test at least twice a week until your system is established. Don't buy any more fish for awhile.

bjoe23

ammonia is .25
All the tests I have are done, so is the only bad 1 the nitrates? if so, how do i lower it?

bjoe23

I havent tested twice a week, I alread had an ammonia spike so i thought i could have fish. How do I lower everything I need to?

bjoe23

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
Water change with RO water and investigate if a bottle of live bacteria would help.
i have been using tap water because i dont have and RO unit and were could i get a bottle of live bacteria?

jpc763

I had a spike in my QT after I thought it had cycled. My Ammonia and Nitrites jumped up again. I did water changes and used Amquel Plus. It worked and I got the system back in control.

rcoultas

You probably do not need amquel at this point - you DO need to do a water change in order to lower those nitrates. You need to understand the Nitrogen Cycle... Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate
Ammonia is deadly to your tank inhabitants
Nitrites are sometimes deadly and very unhealthy
Nitrates are deadly to inverts and very stressful to fish thus making them susceptible to other problems
Again - do a 20% water change - wait one hour and test your water again (particularly the Nitrates) if they are still high (over 20) do another water change. 10 - 20 is ok - ideally you will eventually get them down to 0

sepulatian

As stated, do water changes with sw mixed for at least 24hrs. Get the ammonia and nitrites to zero. Do NOT add amquel into the system. It will throw your readings off. It is a fine product to use in a qt to detoxify but not a substitute for properly maintaining a tank. Do the water changes and wait for at least a month or two before adding anything else.